PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Issue

chubb
19-11-2013, 06:21 PM
I know this is a no no. I normally fill up the trackie with distilled water however the last couple of days I did it with just tap water.

Pulled apart the radiator and brown water came out. I assume that's corrosion of some sort with the metal and the water.

What is the best solution to use (ie just distilled water?) after I flush it. And what flushing solutions do you guys recommend?

Mstevo
19-11-2013, 06:53 PM
I run a non glycerol based conditioner and only change it to distilled water come race days.
I was very surprised just how much corrosion was in the steel pipes and radiator of ex race motor in the FZ I rebuilt way back when
lots of electrolysis happening

chubb
19-11-2013, 07:12 PM
What do you mean by non glycerol based conditioner??

senator8
19-11-2013, 07:49 PM
I think you boys mean glycol (ethylene)
Unless your giving your cooling systems medicine ;)

I've haven't had any problems with distilled water. I've only changed once so far in the middle of the year. Probably due again now but still looks ok

Baddie
19-11-2013, 08:08 PM
I run Water Wetter....All good Shops sell it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeP_FWmDusc

Mstevo
19-11-2013, 08:09 PM
What do you mean by non glycerol based conditioner??

DOH!
yep what Jamie said lol

chubb
19-11-2013, 08:30 PM
So water wetter and distilled water??

Supercheap etc carry them I assume?

Marshy
19-11-2013, 09:18 PM
Just distilled (or demineralised) water is fine - no need for additives, which aren't allowed for racing anyway (St George is strictly 'water ONLY').

You can get demineralised water from Woolies or Coles (ironing section, for use in household irons so they don't block up with little mineral grains after steaming). Or bigger bottles are available at Bunnings etc, or Supercheap etc.

Mstevo
20-11-2013, 01:40 PM
This is the stuff I use for ride days between races
278 279

chubb
20-11-2013, 03:00 PM
I can find water wetter in Aus but can't find any stores that sell Maxima stuff

Marshy
20-11-2013, 05:39 PM
If you're not using it for racing, but you insist on running something other than distilled water between race meets, just use regular coolant. There's no particular need for fancy stuff at a track day. Or if you care about your fellow track-day punters, just use some Penrite Sin Race coolant (glycol free). But I can't recommend distilled/demineralised water enough! You can dump it out after years and there's no rust or discolouration at all - it's still clear, clean water. The only reason to use coolant would be for you poor people in Canberra that have to worry about breaking water pumps when the water freezes in the engine before a day at Wakey......

Water Wetter is bad, m'kay. I've looked into it in-depth before; essentially it gums up your engine with nasty, sludgy deposits. Do some googling and discover how maligned it is.

Stu23
20-11-2013, 06:13 PM
yup after racing it gets its fluids dropped, and replaced with normal antifreeze, then when its time to race, drop that and replace with distilled. Last season when st George were checking water properly, there were a few that were found out and made to change before they were passed

chubb
20-11-2013, 06:40 PM
Time to go to the store and get me some distilled water and something to flush out the brown shit