PDA

View Full Version : St George Clubsport 600 2014

Marty
05-11-2013, 04:56 PM
Ok so remember there was the big scare back before round 3 this year where they just casually mentioned that fuel injection was now banned from Clubsport 600, a stink was kicked up and they revoked the rule for the rest of the season.

Does anyone know what the deal is for next season? There has been a big influx of new entries to cs600 since round 3 and a fair few injected bikes, could this have any baring on their plans? I'm looking to cross enter 600cc and clubby next season, if I'm limited to one class it really doesn't leave much track time and I the 600cc grid will be overflowing.

How can we find out about any planned rule changes for next season?

Cheers
Marty

Marshy
05-11-2013, 05:43 PM
I was at a recent committee meeting (for the first time), and they confirmed that nothing will change - next year bikes up to 12/2008 compliance plates will be eligible for CS.

To be honest, I'm thinking about a proposal to suggest the age is reset to be, say, 8 years old, then go up 1 year each year. I reckon it'll just be another 600 (1000s are the same) class next year, even more than it is currently.

Thoughts?

Jashdown
05-11-2013, 05:54 PM
As long as my 07 gixxer can fit into clubby I don't care!

Little Mick
05-11-2013, 05:54 PM
not sure I understand your suggestion Nick. bike has to be 8 years or older by year? so this year (2013) would have meant that only up to 2005 could do CS?

Mstevo
05-11-2013, 05:59 PM
not sure I understand your suggestion Nick. bike has to be 8 years or older by year? so this year (2013) would have meant that only up to 2005 could do CS?
Yep and it should be by year model and not just compliance plate eg 9/06 R1 and up is really an 07 model not an 06 model

chubb
05-11-2013, 05:59 PM
There was plenty of talk about this last year as well but nothing got changed

I don't think they will change it because majority of the people wouldn't want to like last time

dan
05-11-2013, 06:01 PM

Works for me haha

I think Nick is suggesting rather than the rules changing to specifically mention a date they make it always sit 8 years behind perhaps and that continues every year?

Little Mick
05-11-2013, 06:10 PM
that would upset those that have gone out and bought late model clubby legal bikes to double stint wouldn't it? its what all the resistance was about?

hey Im all for it... roll it back and get everyone competitive..

dan
05-11-2013, 06:13 PM
I reckon it'll just be another 600 (1000s are the same) class next year, even more than it is currently.

Thoughts?

I don't have the entry list handy but I do seem to remember many of the bikes being the same which takes away from the 'clubsport' aspect if they are all current generation bikes.

Let's face it - us boys on the old gixxers and retro 600s are the only real clubsporters out there :popcorn::tongue:

Mstevo
05-11-2013, 06:28 PM
Preston MCC have a 10 year rule
I have asked do they accept model runs as in Yamaha 04-06 R1 are the same model, and would they accept my 05 R1 into next years club sport

Marshy
05-11-2013, 06:45 PM
Yep and it should be by year model and not just compliance plate eg 9/06 R1 and up is really an 07 model not an 06 model

Agreed. Compliance plate is just silly.

There was plenty of talk about this last year as well but nothing got changed

I don't think they will change it because majority of the people wouldn't want to like last time

The talk was only among the punters, not the decision makers. AFAIK, the committee wasn't even aware of all the talk.....

I think Nick is suggesting rather than the rules changing to specifically mention a date they make it always sit 8 years behind perhaps and that continues every year?

Correct. Although I just pulled the 8 year number out of the air. But very importantly, it needs to increase year-on-year, so that bikes of the very latest eligibility don't massively increase in value (as happens in PCRA, where the latest year is always 1995 and will not increase for the foreseeable future).

that would upset those that have gone out and bought late model clubby legal bikes to double stint wouldn't it? its what all the resistance was about?

Again, all idle chat rather than organised resistance. And don't forget that the person most disadvantaged by this rule change would be me!!!! But leave it for next year as it is now, and change it for the year after. So everyone that have bought bikes for next year aren't disadvantaged. I don't know any people that have bought bikes for 2015, although I recognise that people may be looking forward to when their current ride becomes clubsport-eligible.

Preston MCC have a 10 year rule
I have asked do they accept model runs as in Yamaha 04-06 R1 are the same model, and would they accept my 05 R1 into next years club sport

I like this idea. Makes sense to me.

Nelso
05-11-2013, 07:53 PM
This is going to upset a few people, but, I think if people are going out buying the latest eligible bike for Clubsport, or modifying their engines to be competitive, they should be racing in Unlimited and 600's, not Clubsport. If you are throwing that much money at it, you are in the wrong class. Clubsport should be cheap racing and anyone who has spent big money modifying bikes to run in Clubsport are ruining it for everyone else who just want to have fun without spending a fortune.

I think it should be 7 year old bikes, rather than 5 and they should go off the year model of the bike, not the compliance plate. I also think any bike that has had internal mods done to the engine should be at least 2 years older than the eligible year, so they would need to be at least 9 years old. Why? Because a 7 year old Superbike or Supersport will still be competitive with a standard new bike and could run in with the 'big spenders', but they have a very unfair advantage over standard (read cheap!) old bikes.

So let the haters start hating.:target:

Phat3R
05-11-2013, 08:06 PM
This is going to upset a few people, but, I think if people are going out buying the latest eligible bike for Clubsport, or modifying their engines to be competitive, they should be racing in Unlimited and 600's, not Clubsport. If you are throwing that much money at it, you are in the wrong class. Clubsport should be cheap racing and anyone who has spent big money modifying bikes to run in Clubsport are ruining it for everyone else who just want to have fun without spending a fortune.

I think it should be 7 year old bikes, rather than 5 and they should go off the year model of the bike, not the compliance plate. I also think any bike that has had internal mods done to the engine should be at least 2 years older than the eligible year, so they would need to be at least 9 years old. Why? Because a 7 year old Superbike or Supersport will still be competitive with a standard new bike and could run in with the 'big spenders', but they have a very unfair advantage over standard (read cheap!) old bikes.

No haters from the Targa/Teen Spirit party ... :high5:

Marshy
05-11-2013, 08:07 PM

Nope, I completely agree with you Nelso. In fact, I've got a bunch of ideas for changes to the way the championship prizes work to encourage people like me to only run in the 600 class, and leave clubsport to older bikes/lower budgets. In any competition, people wanting to win will maximise their chances within the rules (ignoring people that cheat), so the proper way to change behaviour is to change the rules. Like I said earlier, I'm the person advocating most strongly for change, which will disadvantage me most of all!

I'll post up some of my thoughts for comment over the next few days.

James
05-11-2013, 08:13 PM

This makes perfect sense. Hate the haters!

Stu23
05-11-2013, 08:14 PM
cheap old bikes is the domain on PCRA....... my bike is an 06 model, April actually, so will be 8 years old next year ( if the damn thing is repairable after going bang ) .. I bought this bike as I knew the FRAME design hadn't changed much in 7 years or so.. to me the chassis side is far ore important and with the R6 they got it right pretty much straight away with minimal changes through its life.
Clubsport has always followed supersport regs........ why would you enter a class if you do not like the rules. I will always be at a disadvantage with my size and my weight ( although im working on my weight ) some of you I race against weigh less than 70kgs at 4kg / effective rwbhp im giving away 6rwbhp do the math... its not looking so uneven now is it.. If you less than 70kgs DO NOT SPEAK TO ME EVER AGAIN lol This is my penalty for playing league and soccer and now getting on a bit in years ;) If I can follow the rules and make it a bit more even then all good. If you feel the need to have your engine worked then go for it as long as your following the supersport 600 rules its all good by me :) my bike has race cams in it designed for mid range and they are timed , it has a full system on it, it is running std compression, but it was put together very very well...... but now it is dead :( sniff sniff so not as highly modified as some might think at least in my case

Mr.Ed
05-11-2013, 08:39 PM
I just think that whatever rule change they want to implement can't be done for next year. It's already November... ppl have bought bikes/invested $ and etc, it's just not fair and it would be reckless to do it like that. Why not do it like they do on F1/MotoGP and announce a change in the rules for 2015? That way ppl can do whatever they want next year and plan ahead.

Little Mick
05-11-2013, 08:51 PM
cheap old bikes is the domain on PCRA....... my bike is an 06 model, April actually, so will be 8 years old next year ( if the damn thing is repairable after going bang ) .. I bought this bike as I knew the FRAME design hadn't changed much in 7 years or so.. to me the chassis side is far ore important and with the R6 they got it right pretty much straight away with minimal changes through its life.
Clubsport has always followed supersport regs........ why would you enter a class if you do not like the rules. I will always be at a disadvantage with my size and my weight ( although im working on my weight ) some of you I race against weigh less than 70kgs at 4kg / effective rwbhp im giving away 6rwbhp do the math... its not looking so uneven now is it.. If you less than 70kgs DO NOT SPEAK TO ME EVER AGAIN lol This is my penalty for playing league and soccer and now getting on a bit in years ;) If I can follow the rules and make it a bit more even then all good. If you feel the need to have your engine worked then go for it as long as your following the supersport 600 rules its all good by me :) my bike has race cams in it designed for mid range and they are timed , it has a full system on it, it is running std compression, but it was put together very very well...... but now it is dead :( sniff sniff so not as highly modified as some might think at least in my case

Are you talking to Me??:rofl:

so pulling the old "power to weight ratio" hey stu???

interestingly, TON has changed the rules for FOz and FX600 to be only privateers to even the field...

Ironically...I raised this with Steve Wyres and Jan at the beginning of the year (changes to clubby), but then I go out and run my zx6 in FOz against mostly litre bikes... there is a subclass (600 SS) that makes it fun none the less...

agree with longer lag time for bikes to become eligible and the suggest from the big fella re penalty for mods...but how do you police it? if you can make that simple, then it can be implemented... most people dont know what make of bike they are looking at without stickers (me included) so knowing year model, has it been modified etc is a overwhelming to implement for those that are doing it. injection and traditional vs USD suspension are pretty obvious to identify)

Open to ideas!

cheers

little Mick

Little Mick
05-11-2013, 08:52 PM
I just think that whatever rule change they want to implement can't be done for next year. It's already November... ppl have bought bikes/invested $ and etc, it's just not fair and it would be reckless to do it like that. Why not do it like they do on F1/MotoGP and announce a change in the rules for 2015? That way ppl can do whatever they want next year and plan ahead.

to be honest- anyone who has bought a 2008 plated bike for CS has a competitive bike for 600. sure they may not get double time, but its not like they cant race?

Stu23
05-11-2013, 09:00 PM
The only way I think most people will be happy if they are stuck with an old carbie bike is to split the clubsport class into 2 groups, split at some year, If you want to say 2002 ( this does away with most FI bikes, except the gxsr ) upside down forks radial brakes etc.. Is this what people want with older bikes ? It has been raised before I know ?

And before you all say but he has an 06....I was racing a 2000 R6 from year 07 to 09/10 against 05 model bikes ( with an odd 06 ! ) wink wink remember that one ! So yes I know what your up against, I worked hard on that bike and was relatively successful still.... If your fast , you can be fast on most well set up bikes, not power, just well set up..

As for policing mods there is no way for st George to do this, no way at all.....even TON could not do this , so has now conceded some extra ;) things are allowed

Little Mick
05-11-2013, 09:12 PM
The only way I think most people will be happy if they are stuck with an old carbie bike is to split the clubsport class into 2 groups, split at some year, If you want to say 2002 ( this does away with most FI bikes, except the gxsr ) upside down forks radial brakes etc.. Is this what people want with older bikes ? It has been raised before I know ?

And before you all say but he has an 06....I was racing a 2000 R6 from year 07 to 09/10 against 05 model bikes ( with an odd 06 ! ) wink wink remember that one ! So yes I know what your up against, I worked hard on that bike and was relatively successful still.... If your fast , you can be fast on most well set up bikes, not power, just well set up..

As for policing mods there is no way for st George to do this, no way at all.....even TON could not do this , so has now conceded some extra ;) things are allowed

agree Stu - Ryan was into the 1:05s at wacky on my 99 R6 giving me a hurry along on the 09 zx6...

I found that there was only 1 second for me in the newer bike when raced back to back.. Maurice has the same experience (albeit 5-6 seconds faster, but both bikes still within 1 second)...

breaking it up a little gives everyone a chance to have a go a the championship...

'05 makes sense... - '02 and my bike just got popular :)

Under the current rules, next year I will have 2 bikes eligible for Clubby.. If chasing the championship, it would make sense to run the newer bike on many levels, but I dont feel that is in the spirit of the sport (in my world at least)... and the Ol girl is fun to ride :) but will wait and see... next year is a world away at the moment

Stu23
05-11-2013, 09:19 PM
I don't see the 05 being a good year to split.... If indeed it ever is. These bikes in 05 are almost as good and technologically advanced as the latest bikes... almost.. It is not a clear enough split hence why I chose 02.. No cbr600rr , no FI R6 , no full on zxrrrrrs

Nelso
05-11-2013, 09:20 PM
cheap old bikes is the domain on PCRA.......

Nope, sorry Stu, I thought the same until we bought PCRA bikes and discovered there's nothing cheap about them. As the bikes get rarer, they get more expensive. Try to pick up a period 6 bike cheap these days, it's impossible and period 5 bikes are even more expensive. At the moment, pre-modern aren't too bad, but they are on the increase as they get older.

At the end of the day, your bike is already 7 years old and if no one was allowed a modified engine, you would never have had to spend the money on the rebuild in the first place and would probably still have a reliable, running, standard bike; which would have cost far less than it has so far and will in the near future.

The problem with weighing so much more (remember I'm 124kg, so I'm giving away far more of a disadvantage than anyone) is you are already disadvantaged, so when others have worked engines it makes it impossible to compete with unless you go out and spend extra money to try to make up the difference. So many times on Sunday I got stuck behind much slower riders with modified bikes because they had so much more power than me (combined with the weight advantage) and as I overtook them coming out of corners they would then pull back in front of me and pull away on any of the straight bits. Should I have to go out and spend thousands of dollars just so I can have a slight disadvantage rather than a huge one?

The problem with allowing engine mods is that it costs everyone shitloads, just to be on an even playing field; and the only winners out of it are the mechanics and the big losers are the racers. At least my idea (which I just pulled out of my arse) would allow ex-prostock and superstock bikes as well as superbikes and supersport bikes to be eligible, but the more modified ones just have to wait a couple more years before they fit into that category. Remember, there's always the Unlimited and 600 classes for those that want to run the latest and greatest, so it's not like they are missing out entirely; they are just not getting an unfair advantage over the poor budget conscious racer that just wants to run a cheap old bike.

This has given me an idea. I have a modification to my previous rules outlined above. As long as you are over 110kg, you can run engine mods in the 7 year old bike and don't have to wait the extra 2 years.:whoo: At lease that way you won't be disadvantaged for being 'big boned'.:hungry:

Nelso
05-11-2013, 09:21 PM

They can just race in Unlimited or 600's. It's not like they are going to miss out.

Stu23
05-11-2013, 09:28 PM
Hahaha I like that Rob........ However re the engine mod expense statement , after speaking to my engine builder ( hes good with yamahas ) , R6's are know to just go bang, modified, stock it makes no difference...... some he has seen explode going down pit lane after a rebuild, just a weakness..... inherent in its design unfortunately... Bike racing is expensive, no matter what, always has been, always will be. We could all go bucket racing ;) or scooter racing.. The problem is also that 7 year old bikes need even more love and maint thus incurring greater expense. Don't forget, mine has cams only.....and even these arnt hi reving hi top end ones..... If you really want to stress an engine lets talk about ECU's and adding a touch of over rev.. anyone for 17500 revs !!! Now that's an expense in the making hahaha

Re PCRA I guess, do you want to race for fun ? Or do you expect to win ? lots of guys buy cheap old bikes for fun and race them with pcra and clubsport in st george..... and learn their craft

Nelso
05-11-2013, 09:29 PM
I found that there was only 1 second for me in the newer bike when raced back to back..

If it's 'only' 1 second I think you should let me go off the line 1 second earlier than everyone else.:rofl: I second is a big difference in a race! 5 seconds is an eternity by the end of the race.:brushteeth:

dan
05-11-2013, 09:35 PM
I guess an important starting point is working out exactly what the intention of clubsport is and going from there. Dates, restrictions etc etc mean nothing until the spirit of the competition is defined and agreed upon.

Little Mick
05-11-2013, 09:37 PM
This has given me an idea. I have a modification to my previous rules outlined above. As long as you are over 110kg, you can run engine mods in the 7 year old bike and don't have to wait the extra 2 years.:whoo: At lease that way you won't be disadvantaged for being 'big boned'.:hungry:

Nelso...I Call your new rule, and up the steaks... to qualify for the above rule, you need to have either - 3 pies, half a chicken and chips or a 450g Rump with mushroom sauce and a bowl of wedges.... before each race.. :evil:

Stu23
05-11-2013, 09:43 PM
Dan it has been running the way it has for years and years........ the class is not new !! and has been fine....... its only recently that it has been questioned by some

Nelso
Nelso...I Call your new rule, and up the steaks... to qualify for the above rule, you need to have either - 3 pies, half a chicken and chips or a 450g Rump with mushroom sauce and a bowl of wedges.... before each race.. :evil:

You should have to carry a pillion! or ride a Harley to make up the difference in weight, or race your 600 against 1000's.:tongue:

Carl-52
Nelso and Mick... I up the steaks again!!! Even if i ate triple the amount of food specified above, i still wouldnt have gained any weight or size, so maybe an age rule is required? I see clubsport as a class for older guys, newbies on older bikes, or guys who race for fun to stay away from the slim, mean, indestructables with no sense and large appetites!!!! I do hope to join the clubsports soon on my 06 r6, if dad hasnt destroyed it by then.... its good to know i could be racing against guys who will actually give me an inch and who i can learn from :hungry:

Little Mick
05-11-2013, 09:47 PM
haha I like it Carl. Ulysyss club racers :) You aint calling your Old man Old are you? he still pays the bills:caked:

I hope you eat those three extra serves and have sufficient indigestion that you wave me by at some point...

Stu23
05-11-2013, 09:47 PM
Cheeky Bugger !! ill cut you in two ;)

Little Mick
05-11-2013, 09:48 PM
You should have to carry a pillion! or ride a Harley to make up the difference in weight, or race your 600 against 1000's.:tongue:

This.. and its so much fun on the right tracks...not so on drag strips :)

Carl-52
05-11-2013, 09:51 PM
indigestion?? you mean fart boost engaged!!! its like a NOS shot but less civilised

Nelso
05-11-2013, 09:51 PM
Dan it has been running the way it has for years and years........ the class is not new !! and has been fine....... its only recently that it has been questioned by some

Bloody whingers! Questioning the way things are run!!!:rant::pound:

To be fair, it's only recently that 5 year old bikes (4 year old models in some cases) have had such an advantage over 8 or 9 year old bikes and with the Retro class not changing there is no competitive place for the 95-2003 year bikes to compete. There is always the option to just leave it as is and have it roll over each year, but why not look at improving things rather than just sticking with tradition?

dan
05-11-2013, 09:52 PM

I understand but I'm asking what is the actual intention of it? Is it supposed to be an entry level / 'reasonable' cost category?

If most of the bikes in Clubsport are also getting raced in 600 doesnt that raise questions as to where it actually fits?

Being new to club racing I don't know all the history of how things have been decided so I'm just trying to get my head around it all.

Stu23
05-11-2013, 09:57 PM
you can race anything you like in 600's........ no one is stopping you or anyone else........ I guess the question is how competitive do you expect / want to be ?

you can race anything in clubsport 600...( up to 08 ) ........ no one is stopping you or anyone else.......... I guess the question is how competitive do you expect / want to be ?

Hehehe not being funny, but its club racing and to SS regs that's is all ... oh dear I know I know its a fair question Dan, but strictly speaking my answer is correct

Personally, I race in clubby because its slightly more relaxed racing, most of the guys fund themselves and so understand that we all need to go to work on Monday ! a little more mature shall we say

haha if racers can ever be called mature !! the rules are to supersport regs because it is IMPOSSIBLE for the club to regulate anything else.....people always cheat / bend the rules....

big bore motors, cams , ECU's suspension, quick Shifters, exhaust systems Power comanders the list is endless, this is why SS regs are chosen... its just easier to manage :)

plus lots of us like to tinker with our bikes, in the shed with yer mates..... its kinda relaxing and peaceful if you know what I mean ;)

Baddie
05-11-2013, 10:06 PM

I'm happy to seat on that same table with Nelso and take on above specs.... after watching all your videos I cant wait to run my Stock Honda in whatever I can. :peace:

Nelso
05-11-2013, 10:12 PM
This has got me thinking (dangerous, I know). I know a bloke who has an '08 ex-supersport winning R6 with over 135HP and does 1:36's, who's ears pricked up when he heard he could run it in Clubsport next year. He would come in as a D grader because he has only raced under an AASA license. He would clean up the club championship if he competed at every round because he would dominate Clubsport, where as he would have a bit of competition in the 600's.

Maybe the answer is to make the points for Clubsport races worth less than the other classes to discourage people spending up big to get an advantage in it.:decision:

Stu23
05-11-2013, 10:16 PM
Fastest ive ever gone round EC is only a 1:42 Rob, if he wants to, I would say fine no problem :) its not like I see the top 4 or 5 riders anyway lol one more wont make a difference to me at the creek . That is one fast R6, id love to see it run :) and listen to it at full revs

dan
05-11-2013, 10:19 PM
Maybe the answer is to make the points for Clubsport races worth less than the other classes to discourage people spending up big to get an advantage in it.:decision:

How does this work? Are points given across classes?

Negrogrande
05-11-2013, 10:20 PM
I wish my suzi was an 08 :(

clubsport guys have all the fun....

(and I'm slow as shit)

Stu23
05-11-2013, 10:24 PM
you have a class championship dan and you have the overall st George club championship.... the points you score in your class championship ( nominated ) count towards the overall club championship

Nelso
05-11-2013, 10:31 PM
Fastest ive ever gone round EC is only a 1:42 Rob, if he wants to, I would say fine no problem :) its not like I see the top 4 or 5 riders anyway lol one more wont make a difference to me at the creek . That is one fast R6, id love to see it run :) and listen to it at full revs

I've seen the crazy bugger back it into turn 1 too! He tips in after the 100m marker and THEN backs off! Personally, I'd rather see him compete with Blair and Levy than running around miles ahead of the next person, in Clubsport.

dan
05-11-2013, 10:35 PM
I've seen the crazy bugger back it into turn 1 too! He tips in after the 100m marker and THEN backs off! Personally, I'd rather see him compete with Blair and Levy than running around miles ahead of the next person, in Clubsport.

Everyone else would as well!

Mr.Ed
06-11-2013, 01:52 AM
Oh stop it, Nelso... I sold that bike ages ago!

:eyebrows:

Marshy
06-11-2013, 05:34 AM
Oh stop it, Nelso... I sold that bike ages ago!

:eyebrows:

:pound: :rofl:

Little Mick
06-11-2013, 06:05 AM

sort of defeats the purpose of giving everyone a chance at the prize??

chubb
06-11-2013, 06:07 AM
Why doesn't he go race in FX or ASBK and leave the club racing to guys who aren't fast enough yet and just want to have fun.

What's the point knowing you're an A grader in AASA and come in as D grade in MA and clean up. Sportsmanship has gone out the window.

chubb
06-11-2013, 06:20 AM
I don't even know why Michael Blair and Sean Condon still came to do club racing that round.

I understand it's to practice for the upcoming FX round but it isn't really fair to the other club punters?

Don't they have a practice day Friday prior to the race weekend?

Little Mick
06-11-2013, 06:51 AM
Why shouldnt they? (edit - Mick Blair and Sean Condon that is - not the aasa A grader coming in as a D grader..)

to be fair they are eligible for the class? Matt Harding was giving KC a run last FX and he was out having fun. and he is a C grader...

grades are there to help filter out the discrepancies...get them right and even bikes and we have a perfect world...

Igloo for sale... Bargain price ;)

Stu23
06-11-2013, 07:10 AM
Trophy hunters we used to call em in the UK when the UK's top riders turned up to a club meeting for a bit of race practice ;) I guess it comes back tothe grading farce that is NSW.. It doesnt really matter though, unless they do every meeting it doesnt affect the clubs championship does it, just get to see them for a fraction of a second lol

Marty
06-11-2013, 07:27 AM
Thanks for the replies, glad it's staying how it is for now.

Yes the problem I'm facing now is that's bike is an 07 cbr which is "late model" but it's not powerful, I get murdered in the horsepower stakes (and not always by other 06-07s) If they bring in more rules to limit the budget then fantastic, it might kick out the bigger spend bikes and put the front of the pack within reach, or do I sink a few grand into my bike trying to pump up the motor up so I can actually hold people off on the straights? It's so depressing getting dragged off by slower riders on 600s. If I'm getting killed in the HP stakes in Clubsport then surely there's no chance in 600cc?

I know what you guys are saying about clubby becoming another 600cc class in the next couple of years, but in reality don't we need another 600cc class? How big can they make the grids? Everyone coming into racing wants to be on a 600 and 5 years old is the sweet spot where they are still fresh enough that you can slap some cheap glass on them and race for years without major maintenance don't need and you can walk into a bike shop and buy parts for it off the shelf. If the move the year cap back 600cc will be dominated by the big budget guys on the latest model bike with all the trimmings and clubby will be all retro bikes (with the front guys pumping massive money into them anyway) leaving the most cost effective bang for buck bikes (5-6 years old) with nowhere to race competitively, it doesn't seem to make sense.

I don't really know what the solution is, the only thing I can think is some kind of cap on modifications. I'd rather have to take parts off my bike to be within the rules than have to add more shit to be competative.. Very hard to enforce though do I can't see it happening.

chubb
06-11-2013, 07:40 AM
should run a semi superstock600 rules..

quickshift, zorst, and fuel controller. suspension limited to carts and shock or just revalved stockies. (Essentially describing my bike here)

raceglass and go racing.

Stu23
06-11-2013, 07:43 AM
Id love to know what the gsxxr had done that was chasing down Nick in the 600 races...that had some serious power

Marshy
06-11-2013, 09:33 AM
should run a semi superstock600 rules..

quickshift, zorst, and fuel controller. suspension limited to carts and shock or just revalved stockies. (Essentially describing my bike here)

raceglass and go racing.

Supersport is the new Superstock. Last year, MA changed the rules for Supersport to substantially reduce costs. Essentially it's as chubb says - everything we would normally do to a bike (full exhaust, powercommander, fork internals, and replacement rear shock). But importantly, NO ENGINE MODS! I reckon this is the right rule set.

For the record, my motor is bog-stock. Never been opened.

Oh, and Stu, contrary to your previous comment and certain biased views, R6 motors typically don't go bang! In fact, I can't recall hearing about one before yours. Mostly they are bulletproof, particularly if they are stock, but even if they've been lightly breathed on. Team Zero's bike is an 06 like yours, and has YEC cams, and has been raced for it's whole life without even having the head off or the valve clearances checked. It could probably use a rebuild, but it simply hasn't missed a beat, ever. Ditto my old 09 with slotted cam wheels. Still going strong!

You do need to properly warm them up, and don't overrev them. Have you checked video footage of your tacho while you're riding? Sometimes people overrev them on downshifts without realising....

chubb
06-11-2013, 09:38 AM
didn't have a valve clearance check at all??? I do mine once a year at a minimum even on my bog stocker engine like yours. I just been told it could go wrong big time and eventually the engine stops running.

but i'm no mechanic when it comes to engines

Marshy
06-11-2013, 09:43 AM
I do mine once a year at a minimum

And how often has it been out of spec?

Stu23
06-11-2013, 09:45 AM
From Ian Irving and Wetty, my problem seems to stem from the 2 crashes i had at wakefield at the 4 hour ( on someones oil and when the dick missed a gear on the straight and i ran up his arse ) . I have been told, R6's do NOT like laying on their side at all.... The std operation is to remove the filter, ensure its full...and prime immediately afterwards, then you can start the motor , otherwise no1 cyl especially can run dry for a time until the oil gets back through. Unfortunately this seems to be the problem i have encountered. I always warm them up thoroughly ( this was drummed into me by Ian) and yes i never slam it down a gear, they hate this ( the valves do anyway !! ) ... I will have more info when it is stripped and the damage is seen. my bike is running std comp gasket 60 thou and slotted race cams , so not highly modded..just built right.. I hope everyone reads this and learns from my misfortune...

Marshy
06-11-2013, 09:52 AM
Granted, there's a trade-off between risk and cost. So if you rebuild the head each year (or more often) as recommended by most engine-builders, you'll maximise horsepower and reliability, but the minimum cost for this is usually $1,500 and can go much higher.

If you don't do this, you run a higher risk of the engine going bang, but with a replacement engine out of the States costing a similar amount to a rebuild, or even a fresh local motor for maybe $3k, you only have to have the bike last more than two years to be ahead, cost-wise. And you may well get many more years without any problems.

Warm your engines fully, guys! Change the oil and filter, and yes, check your valve clearances (it's not a big job to just check them - adjusting them is a different story). Don't overrev them - the power falls off at the top of the revs anyway - and they will go on and on and on and on. Usually; dunno what happened to yours, Stu.

dan
06-11-2013, 10:17 AM
Id love to know what the gsxxr had done that was chasing down Nick in the 600 races...that had some serious power

Mustnt be talking about mine haha

chubb
06-11-2013, 11:11 AM
And how often has it been out of spec?

once.. But it just gives me a peace of mind

Mr.Ed
06-11-2013, 12:12 PM
I do know of at least 5 R6s from the same vintage (06-13 since they're basically the same engine) going bang for "apparently" no reason... 2 of them being road bikes of all things and all under 20.000 Ks. It happens... I've also been told that the R6 engine is the most prone to drop power if not refreshed regularly, no idea if that's the case or not.

My 06 had a full Akro/PCV Ignition Module/QS and a map to suit and it had plenty of balls when compared to the other 600s on the straight. I sold it with 7K's on the odo only 2 of those being on the track... Rode next to it a couple of years later and it just wasn't the same anymore. I wish I could say it was the rider but to be honest, he was faster than me around the corners...:censored:

Having said that, I know of 2 ZX6Rs that went bang as well... and there are less of those around (or at least were for a long time) when compared to the R6.

Marshy
06-11-2013, 03:05 PM
Rumour has it that there is/was one specific machine on the R6 engine production line (out of heaps of them) that produced important bits that were outside of spec tolerances, and that if you got a bike that had come from that particular engine production line, it would go bang pretty quickly after you first started thrashing it on the track. The motors were grudgingly repaired/replaced by Yamaha under warranty (sometimes long outside the warranty period) if you could wrangle it.

I agree that they lose power, sometimes noticeably after, say, 2 or 3 years of track thrashing. Some less so than others - as with anything, it really, really depends on how they are treated!! Some people are not mechanically sympathetic, and some people just are. Part of it is max revs in each gear, and the other major factor is high revs on downshifts. I've seen plenty of vids of people that plonk the tacho near (or over) the redline on every downshift, and this plays havoc with the valves.

I don't rev the motor right out very often (if at all), and my downshifts don't rev the engine too hard.

Nelso
25-11-2013, 07:27 PM
As far as the rules for Clubsport go, I like the way the Hartwell Club went for next year. http://www.hartwellmcc.org/2014-class-changes.html

Mstevo
25-11-2013, 07:52 PM
As far as the rules for Clubsport go, I like the way the Hartwell Club went for next year. http://www.hartwellmcc.org/2014-class-changes.html

I was just looking at this 1hr ago and how to fill in the gaps in the first half of next years racing.
I've just sent in a query regarding eligibility clarification regarding compliance plate or year model designation for the pre modern class
I'd love to do PI again next year but the Preston meet is at PI when I'm OS on holidays. Hatwells PI meet is over the May/June weekend and the weather stats looks pretty ordinary that time of year :-(

Stu23
25-11-2013, 09:06 PM
yes the 5 month gap between events is not good, but heres hoping there will be something to fill in the gaps with :)

dan
25-11-2013, 09:32 PM
Just saw the Hartwell dates before. Very interested in going down and doing some of the pre-modern on the K3 - I could even do P7 on my 99. Thinking 8/9 March at Mac Park in SA could be a goer.

dan
25-11-2013, 09:37 PM
April 5/6 at Broadford as well. Would combine that with a trip to PI I think. Could be a better option.

Marshy
26-11-2013, 05:49 AM
April 5/6 at Broadford as well. Would combine that with a trip to PI I think. Could be a better option.

I'm pretty keen to do some Broadford dates. Freakin' love that track! After the PI fiasco with the Pirelli series, I'm not so keen to do that series again.

dan
26-11-2013, 11:23 AM
Track Day at PI on the 7th.

dan
26-11-2013, 11:24 AM
Is there a thread detailing the 'fiasco'? Have you got to use Pirellis in that series or is it just a naming sponsor?

Marshy
26-11-2013, 11:32 AM
Is there a thread detailing the 'fiasco'? Have you got to use Pirellis in that series or is it just a naming sponsor?

Not a thread per se, but here's a summary: http://www.tarmactalk.com/forum/showthread.php?228-Phillip-Island-Pirelli-Series-videos&p=2132&viewfull=1#post2132

You only had to use Pirellis in the Superstock class, and only if you wanted to be eligible for prize money in that class. Normal supersport classes didn't have tyre restrictions - although I think you got a bonus prize if you were running Pirellis and finished in the top three, or something. Mostly they are the naming sponsor. It's a club race meet - Preston MCC; equivalent to St George, but not as organised. Much better website, but.

dan
26-11-2013, 02:28 PM
Ahhh yes I remember reading that. Just wasted 45mins watching videos as well. Fuck I want to spend some time there. How did it go on your tyres?

Marshy
26-11-2013, 03:10 PM
Veeeeerrrry harsh on the left rear. Fronts were fine, and the right-side of the rear looked brand new!