PDA

View Full Version : ASBK next year

Marshy
10-09-2013, 09:09 AM
After all the major promotion (press releases etc) by TON that he was taking over ASBK and folding in FX to make one national series, I missed the whimper a week or two later that MA rejected the proposal and the status quo remains.

Thoughts, anyone? My planning for ASBK next year has been put on hold while there was doubt about the format. I guess we continue as planned, expecting similar rules to this year.

chubb
10-09-2013, 09:16 AM
AFAIK IEG will still promote ASBK.

I think they wanted to bring the AFX and ASBK rules inline with one another (rumour)

otherwise TON will continue with AFX now he has Kawasaki joining Yamaha.

Little Mick
11-09-2013, 07:05 AM
I think for Clarity it should be noted that the TON was note the one making press releases.... refer back to the MA minutes and it is raised there that they are struggling and that the country cant support 2 series... so they apporached TON about it...He put a proposal forward... MA considered, then decided it wasnt in their best interest....

It looks like they were evenconsidering whether IEG would carry ASBK moving forward.. Id say theey arent happy with how its gone so far...

refer article on cycleonline.com.au as the first release of info a few weeks back...

http://www.cycleonline.com.au/2013/08/14/potential-australian-superbike-merger-negotiations-in-final-stages/
http://www.cycleonline.com.au/category/news/asbk-news/

Marshy
11-09-2013, 09:19 AM
TON was posting stuff on facebook about the deal being almost sewn up. And he was a joint issuer of the MA one in the cycleonline article (an assumption, but he had to have given permission to be quoted). Besides, it wasn't a comment about who approached whom, but an observation about the splash of the deal being an almost certainty just before it backfired that interested me most. And it was definitely TON, not MA, making those announcements ;)

And for the record, I think it should be a combined championship! I wish the strong personalities involved (on all sides) could set aside their differences for the sake of the sport. MA are just as guilty as TON on this front.

Little Mick
11-09-2013, 05:21 PM
Sorry Nick but your original post reads as if Ton was skiting and then ate humble pie and no mention of MA's input.... my point was there were others driving it as well and he posted it on his website after the announcement on Cycle online and then as soon as the decision was made to not proceed, he posted on his site as well...

Im not on facebook so cant comment regards any posts there..

personal view is that a combined championship has its pluses and minuses... Travelling all over the country will hurt the privateer....one set of class rules, will help everybody... maybe even a 600 F Oz class....