PDA

View Full Version : Yamaha R6 Slipper Clutch Mod - i.e. more slip.

johnnyb
15-08-2013, 09:23 PM
Hi guys,

I just joined so I though I should do my bit and contribute.

Here is a mod I performed on my Yamaha R6 slipper clutch. R6 slippers are not known for their slip. This mod frees it up a bit. Best of all its free!!!

I used the following forum thread as a guide. You will find there are heaps of references to this mod on the web.

http://www.r6-forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36545

Quick overview.

The slipper has 3 ramp springs in the clutch which look like a three prong star. You have a couple of choices to allow for more slip
- remove one spring completely
- remove the legs from one spring completely and re-install the centre piece of the spring to maintain correct spacing. Apparently you can remove one spring (as above) and it will still work ok.
- remove the legs of 2 of the spring and re-install in the following order - no legs - complete - no legs

Bit of info from my experience:
- I tried just removing the fingers of 1 spring first which did allow for a bit more slip.
- I then removed the legs from 2 of the springs and reinstalled which provided more slip again - i preferred this configuration
- you will need a rattle gun to remove the clutch boss nut
- hardest part is putting back the clutch cover while trying to align the clutch push rod. Just use some wire through the oil filler hole to hold in place.
- to get the clutch arm back to the correct position after you have reinstalled the clutch cover just remove the retaining spring, pull the clutch cover off 10-20 mm (not too far so the clutch push rod falls out) and rotate arm anti clockwise until you get to the required position

I have run this mod for approx 15 track days and it has proved to be reliable. All my research about the mod there was no mention of failures or reliability issues. Apparently its a very common modification from road and race bikes. If it did cause issues I'm sure there would have been some comments floating around the web.

other than that its pretty straight forward.

If you have any specific questions please let me know.