PDA

View Full Version : Help with catch cans and scruitineering

Marty
29-07-2013, 07:51 PM
I'm race prepping my bike for St George Clubsport 600 at the moment and I think I've now got everything sorted out except for the breathers.

My bike is a 07 cbr600rr

The GCRs say:
15.6.0.6 - Engine and gearbox breathing hoses and
tubes, and the radiator overflow bottle vent,
must exhaust into the airbox to the rear of the
intakes. The lower airbox breather tube must
be blocked.

Is this relevent on a late model bike? The engine vents into there anyway right? Can I just put the radiator overflow overflow into a bottle?

I can't see any mention of the fuel tank breathers/overflows.. My bike has two, should they go into a bottle or can that stay stock?

Anyone with one of these bikes it would be great to see pics of your setup.

Cheers
Marty

Marshy
29-07-2013, 08:03 PM
Having the radiator overflow into a bottle is what almost everyone does (if they do anything at all!!), even though the rules say airbox. There was an application earlier this year to repeal the rule, but it was turned down by the MA road-race committee, which is a pity because the last thing you want if the bike overheats is water all through your airbox, throttle bodies and into the cylinders......

My fuel tank breather and overflow just go into the bellypan, as per the stock setup. Nobody seems too fussed about them.

Marty
30-07-2013, 08:23 AM
Having the radiator overflow into a bottle is what almost everyone does (if they do anything at all!!), even though the rules say airbox. There was an application earlier this year to repeal the rule, but it was turned down by the MA road-race committee, which is a pity because the last thing you want if the bike overheats is water all through your airbox, throttle bodies and into the cylinders......

My fuel tank breather and overflow just go into the bellypan, as per the stock setup. Nobody seems too fussed about them.

Awesome! I had a feeling this would be the case. I'll just put a bottle on the rad overflow and be done with it.

Is there anything else I gotta watch for in scruitineering for st George? I've lock wired (front calipers, oil filter, sump plug, oil cooler, oil filler, rad cap, brake pad pins) got a shark fin, replaced coolant with plain water, got engine covers, got a back protector, I've put my numbers on they meet the specs in the GCRs.

My biggest fear with this weekend is getting knocked back in scruitineering for something major.

I read somewhere in the GCRs about presenting the bike to scruitineering with the front fairings removed so they can check that it's running water, do we have to do this?

Marshy
30-07-2013, 09:25 AM
It sounds like you're all set. Don't worry too much - it's not a blue slip inspection ;)

You do need to be able to access the radiator cap. Sometimes they check for water, so it needs to be accessible. Mostly they don't check, but it pays to be ready, just in case. I can undo mine on the R6 without removing any bodywork, but what I have done on previous bikes is take the tools with me (allen key, screwdriver, whatever) that you need to get to the cap, so if needed I can just quickly undo the bodywork to get to the cap.

dan
30-07-2013, 09:38 AM
Was speaking to a race scrutineer a few weeks ago and he said make sure the belly pan is off when presenting if that helps.

chubb
30-07-2013, 09:39 AM
I normally just take it through scruitineering with just the lowers off

Marty
30-07-2013, 09:51 AM
My cap is lockwired shut (no clip) so hopefully they don't make me remove it, I'll bring it down without the belly off and hopefully seeing the clear water in the overflow will be enough. Otherwise I'll just remove the upper fairing and cut the lockwire on the cap for them.

Marty
30-07-2013, 09:52 AM
Yeh hopefully they are reasonable about things, it's my first race and all. If they say next time do it like xxx then I'll make sure I do

Marshy
30-07-2013, 10:22 AM
Just grab some R clips from Bunnings....

Marty
30-07-2013, 12:22 PM
Just grab some R clips from Bunnings....

Might be the way to go if I'm going to be removing the cap for scruitineering every time

Marty
05-08-2013, 08:10 AM
Just a quick follow up - I ended up mounting a bottle to the ram air duct and routing just the coolant hose up to it.

I just left the fuel breathers as I could work out a suitable setup and ran out of time. The scruitineer mentioned it but passed me luckily. He said next time to just put a small bottle above the engine and run them there. I remember the GCRs saying something about minimum capacity of 600ml but he said nothing about that, there's no way I'd get a 600ml bottle anywhere on my bike.

Glad I passed, I spent ages race prepping my bike, I would've been really pissed off if I'd got it wrong.

Negrogrande
05-08-2013, 10:46 AM
Just a quick follow up - I ended up mounting a bottle to the ram air duct and routing just the coolant hose up to it.

I just left the fuel breathers as I could work out a suitable setup and ran out of time. The scruitineer mentioned it but passed me luckily. He said next time to just put a small bottle above the engine and run them there. I remember the GCRs saying something about minimum capacity of 600ml but he said nothing about that, there's no way I'd get a 600ml bottle anywhere on my bike.

Glad I passed, I spent ages race prepping my bike, I would've been really pissed off if I'd got it wrong.

I've never been pulled up for mine, the run straight into the Belly Pan.

Might have to see if I can fit one somewhere

Marty
05-08-2013, 06:42 PM
I've never been pulled up for mine, the run straight into the Belly Pan.

Might have to see if I can fit one somewhere

Yeh a few people have said that to me which is why I left mine how it was, but the guy made a point of it so ill fix it for next time

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD