PDA

View Full Version : Starting Racing

windy
26-07-2013, 08:40 PM
Hi Guys,

So I am pretty keen to get into racing and have no experience with it all and have a few questions.

I hope I don't make myself look like a dick, but I will ask anyway. I have done heaps of track days and are very comfortable in green and been bumped up to red a few times. I have no idea what grade I go in or even what class I would be in with my bike etc.

So I have got my MA national licence application and St George Membership together. When I submit it do I need to pick a number or will I be allocated one?

I have an 04 zx10 that was raced before I brought it, so it has been lock wired, shark fin etc. Is there anything else that I need to look at?? As some of you may have seen I have just repaired my fairings and are about to paint them. When I paint them what do I need to do for number boards? I read that they need to be a certain size and back ground colour or something. Is this true??

I am looking at starting with a Race ya mates, to get some idea of it all and how to do a race start then I have no idea other then st George.

Any help and advice you guys have would really be appreciated. There are a few of my mates on here that are looking at doing the same so I hope I can answer some of their questions as well.

Cheers,

Nathan

chubb
26-07-2013, 09:25 PM
Hi Guys,

So I am pretty keen to get into racing and have no experience with it all and have a few questions.

I hope I don't make myself look like a dick, but I will ask anyway. I have done heaps of track days and are very comfortable in green and been bumped up to red a few times. I have no idea what grade I go in or even what class I would be in with my bike etc.

So I have got my MA national licence application and St George Membership together. When I submit it do I need to pick a number or will I be allocated one?

I have an 04 zx10 that was raced before I brought it, so it has been lock wired, shark fin etc. Is there anything else that I need to look at?? As some of you may have seen I have just repaired my fairings and are about to paint them. When I paint them what do I need to do for number boards? I read that they need to be a certain size and back ground colour or something. Is this true??

I am looking at starting with a Race ya mates, to get some idea of it all and how to do a race start then I have no idea other then st George.

Any help and advice you guys have would really be appreciated. There are a few of my mates on here that are looking at doing the same so I hope I can answer some of their questions as well.

Cheers,

Nathan

Well youre on the right track. Race your mates is a great way to start. Everyone starts in D grade.

You can register a number with MNSW for a year but there arent any choice if youre looking for double digits.

1000cc bikes are required to have white numbers and red number boards as per GCRs

St George good start to club racing. Then maybe AFX or ASBK.

Little Mick
27-07-2013, 08:39 AM
Hi Nathan

What Chubb said!

also the FXRRC is a good starter as well.

in terms of number boards- the MoMs indicates the number board colour for each class. The intent is that you can see the numbers clearly from 20m away (control tower) at 200kph... The different background colour allows for different classes to be on the track at the same time and not be confused by the scorer...

The numbers need to be a minimum height which are generally too big for the number board panels on the later bikes...the rear is probably easier to do the single option across the top instead of the 2 individuals (1 each side).

Number fonts are intended to be ariel rounded MT bold, but at club level, as long as its readable, then the font seems to be a little flexible...

Feel free to post and specific questions.. the boys n girls here may have some options they have considered explored to give alternatives....

One thing I would encourage - number placement can make it look right or wrong - aesthetically.....so if it looks right, ;)

windy
27-07-2013, 01:36 PM
Thanks for your help guys, I really appreciate it.

So if I don't register a number will I just be given one when I do my mnsw application?

And just to clarify I need to have a RED number board background and white numbers in ariel rounded MT bold? And I can have a single across the rear and one on the front. I saw the size the number has to be on MoMS.

Once again thanks guys.

Marshy
27-07-2013, 01:40 PM
Great advice fellas! Motorcycling NSW actually have a pretty useful 'getting started' page with lots of info. Link: http://motorcycling.com.au/pg_disp.php?page=p04

Have a flick through the Road Racing section of the GCRs (General Competition Rules). It's not all that long, but it gives you lots of info about preparing the bike, number boards, legal mods per class etc. Link: http://ma.org.au/index.php?id=142&no_cache=1

Marshy
27-07-2013, 01:52 PM
So if I don't register a number will I just be given one when I do my mnsw application?

No, you won't. If you don't have a registered number, you can choose one when you enter each race meet. However, if someone that has the same number but registered enters the event, they will get the number and you will be allocated a free number at random. Having spent a couple of years changing numbers quite often at race meets, I wouldn't do it again for quids! Register one, but if you're keen for a different number, keep an eye on the 'registered numbers' list: http://www.motorcycling.com.au/PDF_Files/Competitor_Info/ci_otherrrnforweb.pdf (Senior Road Race, at the end of the document). I just noticed that #11 is now available!! I'm tempted to change....!

I can have a single across the rear and one on the front. I saw the size the number has to be on MoMS.

Proper 'single rear number' positioning:

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/534031_565676186798518_514394817_n.jpg

chubb
27-07-2013, 08:26 PM
Its only 20 dolla to reg a number

Marty
28-07-2013, 12:57 PM
I was about to post this question myself. I got allocated a number for the event I entered but checked the register and it was marked as registered. Makes sense I guess.

I just had to make my front numberplate bigger, I bought the number stickers and they're too big. Dodgiest paint job ever, but if that's what it takes to race next sat then so be it

windy
28-07-2013, 02:53 PM
Thanks for all the advice and help guys, I will be registering a number with my application. Then I don't have to worry about changing it. Now to incorporate red number boards into my painting..

Medic!
28-07-2013, 11:56 PM

This is me to a tee. Hope this thread keeps developing as I'm following with a lot of interest. Couple of steps behind yet .

AndrewTurner
30-07-2013, 07:37 PM
After going through the same thing and starting racing last year if you have any questions I can assure you that all your questions can be answered here. As nick said, read the GCR's (General Competition Rules) in the road racing section. Those rules apply at ASBK level and apply all the way down to club level. If your bike will pass scrutineering at an ASBK event it will pass at any other event. In saying that you want your bike to pass because if you spend all the money on race entry and tyres then you want to make sure your bike will pass scrutineering. Also registering your number makes it easier, for $20 bucks you keep it all year.

windy
06-08-2013, 08:12 PM
Thanks guys, so I have joined st George and submitted my mnsw national competitor application and selected a few number preferences so hopefully I am good to go!
Hope to see you all out there soon!

Marshy
06-08-2013, 09:02 PM
Thanks guys, so I have joined st George and submitted my mnsw national competitor application and selected a few number preferences so hopefully I am good to go!
Hope to see you all out there soon!

:rockon:

windy
08-08-2013, 02:18 PM
So race license is done and on the way got my number, which is 60. Now just to finish the bike repair... Can't wait to have a go and be on track with you guys!

Marshy
08-08-2013, 03:25 PM
Get prepped for the 23rd ARDC Private Practice ;)

fitzy
08-08-2013, 06:05 PM
as marshy said nath no excuses haha ... work will need to be cancelled sorry

dan
09-08-2013, 08:32 PM
Just sent in my number registration form. Now I have to start thinking about a new paint job...