PDA

View Full Version : Torque Wrench recommendations

Negrogrande
20-07-2013, 11:32 PM
As the title suggests,

my current one is a POS and has resulted in 2 snapped bolts :yell:

if anyone has had any good/bad experiences could you please share.

Cheers,
Negro

chubb
21-07-2013, 06:24 AM
Sidchrome

Marshy
21-07-2013, 06:37 AM
One thing I have learned is not to use too big a torque wrench! It's incredibly easy to massively overtighten (even if the wrench range is supposedly low enough), if the bar is three times as long as the normal spanner you use. You're subconsciously expecting the same amount of leverage (and therefore use roughly the same amount of force), but get muuuch more leverage and run into trouble.

And like any precision tool, you get what you pay for.....

Marty
23-07-2013, 07:12 AM
I had a mate have this happen but it turned out he was dialing in nM instead of ft pound, I still give him shit about that :D

phillmac
24-07-2013, 10:09 PM
I ended up with all 3 sizes 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" drive as big range from 180N/M rear axle nut and countershaft sprocket to little 6 and 8mm bolts on motor, disks etc. Also helps to get in tight spots with a set of 4 adaptors so you don't need a million sockets. The Repco ones are not bad value in lower price range.

philxjr
25-07-2013, 11:18 AM
I ended up with all 3 sizes 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2" drive as big range from 180N/M rear axle nut and countershaft sprocket to little 6 and 8mm bolts on motor, disks etc. Also helps to get in tight spots with a set of 4 adaptors so you don't need a million sockets. The Repco ones are not bad value in lower price range.

I have a similar range but with Kingchrome from Bunnings. Also work fine with only using them at home. There are Engineering Calibration places around if you want to get them tested for acurracy