PDA

View Full Version : ARDC Private Practice

dan
14-07-2013, 08:30 PM
Hey all, could anyone give me a brief outline on how these days work. From what I can gather there are 3 car sessions and a bike session (if 10 bikes sign up to do it). How long are the sessions? How many do you normally get in?

Reading around it seems like there are issues with getting cover / power / sometimes just South Circuit.

I'm looking at doing 23rd of August (Brabham Circuit).

Thanks!

Negrogrande
14-07-2013, 10:48 PM
biggest issue is cars dropping oil & spastics (myself) losing their shit on the concrete dust and crashing (from a lack of balls not grip)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECs0ZI7rcR8

other than that pretty good, cheap and you can run timers/cameras also no scrutineering of any kind

Little Mick
15-07-2013, 07:02 AM
Doh..... Bummer there Negro....

Also need a MA or AASA race licence Dan.. green pace and above is what I would suggest - by then most people can hold a line- while there are no rules or guidelines for this, on the south circuit in particular it gets pretty messy with race guys and newbs not holding a line/ freaking out when getting passed.

dan
15-07-2013, 08:58 AM
People holding lines is what I'm looking for!

I'm comfortable in Green so that's good and I have an MA licence as well.

How long are the sessions?

dan
15-07-2013, 09:21 AM
Hard luck on the crash. What happened? Too much speed for the tight line and went wide? Once the bike was tipped over was hard to get perspective on the track till you stood her up.

Marshy
15-07-2013, 10:21 AM
green pace and above is what I would suggest - by then most people can hold a line- while there are no rules or guidelines for this, on the south circuit in particular it gets pretty messy with race guys and newbs not holding a line/ freaking out when getting passed.

Well said Mick. I completely agree. On the long circuit it's not nearly as much of an issue.

I love these days! There's a great attitude from everyone, as the focus from the officials is on enjoying your motorsport (car or bike) to the maximum, rather than 'safety, safety, safety'. It's unbelievably refreshing!

Most days are tops, but you sometimes get unlucky with a day that has more oil dropped than normal, and associated cleanup delays. But you get that at ECRD track days too! However, because you've only paid $130 for the day, the care factor is generally lower.

As Negro said, it's essentially race rules (ie no rules). Cameras and laptiming? Yep, all good. Wheelies? You get a big clap from the flaggies, not a 6 month ban! (Within reason though; let's not ruin it for everyone).

Sessions are loooong - a full 20 minutes, and you usually get less of them. 5 to 6 on a normal/good day, but sometimes only 4 or even 3 on a really bad day.

You do need a full Senior National MA licence; a club licence isn't eligible.

I'm going on the 26th July. Anyone else? We need to make sure we get 10 entries in!

dan
15-07-2013, 10:26 AM
I can't make July 26th unfortunately :(

dan
15-07-2013, 10:28 AM
Sounds like my kind of vibe though and certainly is the right price. Became an ARDC member as well so it's only $105 or something.

dan
15-07-2013, 10:29 AM
Looking forward to strapping a camera on as well so I can get a look at body positioning and make some notes.

Marshy
15-07-2013, 04:20 PM
oh yeah, I keep thinking of the entry plus whole garage cost! It's only $105. Bargain!!

Eddie Lee
15-07-2013, 05:31 PM
biggest issue is cars dropping oil & spastics (myself) losing their shit on the concrete dust and crashing (from a lack of balls not grip)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECs0ZI7rcR8

other than that pretty good, cheap and you can run timers/cameras also no scrutineering of any kind

What's wrong with it in T1 man??

Btw are you using the Wiz sparky knee pad?? Are we allow to use it on track? It looks sooo cool with the sparks dragging on the floor LOL

chubb
15-07-2013, 06:10 PM
Bah I'm going on the 22nd.. we should really organise ARDC more in advanced. ..

JC
15-07-2013, 08:13 PM
If we can get around 90 bikes ARDC will put on a private practice just for us. Did you know that Marshy?? ;-)

Team Zero
15-07-2013, 08:23 PM
I'm in for the 26th. I love the idea of a private practice day JC. I think I could manage to get at least 10 people together for that.

Negrogrande
15-07-2013, 09:10 PM
What's wrong with it in T1 man??

Btw are you using the Wiz sparky knee pad?? Are we allow to use it on track? It looks sooo cool with the sparks dragging on the floor LOL

there was concrete dust on the driving line, I should have just ridden around it but I panicked and stood up.

yeah Wiz Sparkies, can only use them at ARDC days

Marshy
16-07-2013, 05:53 AM
If we can get around 90 bikes ARDC will put on a private practice just for us. Did you know that Marshy?? ;-)

I did not know that JC! I'm impressed though. I reckon with a little effort we could organise that. Maybe a December pre-xmas day??

JC
16-07-2013, 07:11 AM
Nelso and Leanne were very keen as they can put something up at KSRC forum. Christmas PP sounds good

chubb
16-07-2013, 06:11 PM
I would be down for yhat

James
16-07-2013, 11:18 PM
Im up for the 23rd Aug

Little Mick
17-07-2013, 06:33 AM
Im hoping to be in for 26th... as long as the moons line up and I can pull my finger out and get all the bits in bobs sorted....

Mouse
17-07-2013, 05:24 PM
I'm keen for that! Can someone point me in the right direction so I can take part, I currently have a MA REC license. I will need to upgrade that to which license? Will that involve a form and some more money or do I have to have a club membership as well? Apologies if this is really simple for you guys, I'm just new to track riding that's not the usual ride days. Thank you!
I did not know that JC! I'm impressed though. I reckon with a little effort we could organise that. EMaybe a December pre-xmas day??

Eddie Lee
17-07-2013, 09:04 PM
I'm keen for that! Can someone point me in the right direction so I can take part, I currently have a MA REC license. I will need to upgrade that to which license? Will that involve a form and some more money or do I have to have a club membership as well? Apologies if this is really simple for you guys, I'm just new to track riding that's not the usual ride days. Thank you!

I upgraded mine from MA club to MA senior with just $40 extra few months ago, guess it would be similar?

Little Mick
17-07-2013, 09:06 PM
pricing is on the website from memory

Little Mick
17-07-2013, 09:09 PM
http://www.motorcycling.com.au/PDF_Files/Competitor_Info/ci_2013complicapp_July13.doc

Marshy
17-07-2013, 09:40 PM

Yeah, just send MA some more money :D
It's really that simple. There's no need for another test or anything.
You need a Senior National for ARDC days. Club isn't sufficient.

Mouse
22-07-2013, 07:33 PM
Yeah, just send MA some more money :D
It's really that simple. There's no need for another test or anything.
You need a Senior National for ARDC days. Club isn't sufficient.

Thanks Marshy! It just clicked that i have Friday off, one problem, i have not upgraded my license. Do you think there is a chance of having it by Friday? Would they let me enter with a confirmation or do i need it physically printed on my piece of plastic like MEGA require? Im really keen to get up there and put the go pro on and have some fun :)

BoB
23-07-2013, 10:25 AM
Dont forget to get your forms in for the ardc on fri 26th July.. just need a few more ..

Mouse
23-07-2013, 11:04 AM
Hi Guys, incase anyone was in the same boat as me in regards to taking part in the ARDC Private Practise Days and currently holds a MA Recreational Lic you will need to upgrade to a MA Senior National Lic.

I have just spoken on the phone to both Motorcycling Australia who referred me to Motorcycling NSW (who handle all National Licenses for NSW applicants) and to upgrade you will need to do the the following:

Complete form on MCNSW website and select "upgrade" and Lic Type - http://www.motorcycling.com.au/PDF_Files/Competitor_Info/ci_2013complicapp_July13.doc
Send in form along with $201, current MA license and a copy of your current Club Card (you need to be in a club to apply).

Hope this helps anyone wondering out there :) I like Marshys idea to have a private day before Xmas, but we will need 90 people to make it happen, and you will obviously need to have this License sorted out.

Unfortunately i wont be able to go this Friday as there isnt enough time to get my new License out to me :( I'll be looking forward to the next ARDC day on 26th August!!

JC
23-07-2013, 03:57 PM
Only one form. Will send mine tonight so we should be good to go. Woohoo

chubb
23-07-2013, 08:27 PM
Expect to see some good vids!!

JC
23-07-2013, 09:20 PM
Done. Can't wait ...

Marty
25-07-2013, 05:08 PM
Can anyone tell me what time to get there tomorrow?

BoB
25-07-2013, 06:14 PM
I will be there around 7am , if i try to get there any later the traffic is just woefull from where i come from , i think the gates open around the 7am mark. See you tomorow.

Marty
25-07-2013, 08:09 PM
I will be there around 7am , if i try to get there any later the traffic is just woefull from where i come from , i think the gates open around the 7am mark. See you tomorow.

Alright cool, I'll aim for 7!

Marshy
26-07-2013, 06:24 PM
Freaking awesome day!!! Did PBs - reeled off a bunch of 38s. Perfect weather, loooong sessions with virtually no stoppages at all. Only one accident by a bike, in the first session (rider ok, bike a bit bent). Clean track, great company (heaps of bikes!!!), good times.

Videos to follow....

senator8
26-07-2013, 06:58 PM
What Marshy said. A fantastic day, with great company.
So good to be able to have sooo much fun and not get into trouble for it.
Still feel bad about the vid Nick. The thought was there :(

chubb
26-07-2013, 07:05 PM
Awesome stuff.. looking forward to the vids!

Little Mick
27-07-2013, 07:27 AM
+3!!!

and as for Vids...I took the camera and all...left the memory card at home :faint:

Was a lot of fun all round. Even with some slower traffic, lines were held fairly well and overtaking was easy enough.

Great to see everyone out there and have a play.

BoB
27-07-2013, 06:50 PM
Had a ball out there on friday, so much more relaxed than a track day and nice to see the carts and other cars out there between our sessions.Managed to tack on the back of a group of 4 riders that were riding at a quicker pace than me and this got me 2 secs off my p.b which I had just beaten on mondays track day by another 2 secs.
Still a long way to go but slowly getting better and having the video footage to look at position and lines is helping.
Thanks for the tips Rick .
Looking forward to the next gp one, well worth putting in anual leave for these.and $105 a great day.

Marty
29-07-2013, 06:29 PM
Yeh that was a top day, looking forward to doing it again. Thanks heaps for letting me in your garage, heaps better than sitting in a carport on my own all day.

Little Mick
29-07-2013, 07:35 PM
a couple of the vids from the day..I stuffed up the frame rate conversion so it slowed the sameple rate from NTSC to PAL....:(

http://youtu.be/1eHaEefM0e4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7zJ2QhlWyE&feature=c4-overview&list=UU8wJLGSmImcrHUfthpiPyHQ

chubb
29-07-2013, 07:37 PM
What software you using??

Little Mick
29-07-2013, 07:40 PM
that was using the go pro software.. I had settings from my camera in there and used ot to convert/ trim Joes vids...only after spending the last few days converting uploading, did I realise the error...

dan
29-07-2013, 08:57 PM
Nice one guys, can't wait to get out there on August 23!

Marty
30-07-2013, 07:12 AM
I uploaded a lap, sorry about the bug on the lens lol

http://youtu.be/5piGihLpVOY

senator8
30-07-2013, 08:22 AM
I like the camera position Marty.
I've been playing around with mounts on mine to do something similar.

chubb
30-07-2013, 08:37 AM
agreed.. I've seen a couple of swingarm mounted ones that look pretty cool.. don't know how it will fare in the crash though

Marty
30-07-2013, 09:01 AM
I like the camera position Marty.
I've been playing around with mounts on mine to do something similar.

Thanks! It's just a stick on mount on the upper fairing with a couple of pop rivets for security

Saturnalian
30-07-2013, 08:44 PM
Had a ball out there on friday, so much more relaxed than a track day and nice to see the carts and other cars out there between our sessions.Managed to tack on the back of a group of 4 riders that were riding at a quicker pace than me and this got me 2 secs off my p.b which I had just beaten on mondays track day by another 2 secs.
Still a long way to go but slowly getting better and having the video footage to look at position and lines is helping.
Thanks for the tips Rick .
Looking forward to the next gp one, well worth putting in anual leave for these.and $105 a great day.

Does that mean you cracked into the 48's buddy ?
Hmmm, I ned to do some work

BoB
30-07-2013, 09:04 PM
Does that mean you cracked into the 48's buddy ?
Hmmm, I ned to do some work

48-2...., now pb 46.9 but that means nothin when it comes to race experience that you have over me..I will probably be that nervous that I will miss the start and play catch up .Or get freaked out with all the bikes around me and end up running off the track.

Will you be at the next private practce , I think itsthe full track or track day a few days before on the gp track?

Saturnalian
30-07-2013, 10:17 PM
I'll see what I can get away with..
At the moment I'm hoping to do GP on the 21st, ARDC on the 23rd and PI track day on Monday the 26th before Pirelli series practice day on Friday 30th but out of preference ill drop the ECRD GP day first if necessary

dan
30-07-2013, 11:17 PM
nice one mate!

Little Mick
31-07-2013, 06:43 AM
updated session 3 with the rite Frame rate version....
http://youtu.be/Y_bOuC_xljk

Marshy
31-07-2013, 08:40 AM
That's better! But I'm confused - isn't that you that you're dicing with?!?!?!?

Little Mick
31-07-2013, 09:43 AM
HAnd is quicker than the eye Marshy ;). Joe was recording while I was tuning...

BoB
23-08-2013, 07:41 PM
Anyone thinking of doing the ardc private practice days , make sure you join the ardc bike enthusiast , just got an email from them for a 50% off my next track day :) and you also get a discount on each ardc day you do ..

Marshy
23-08-2013, 08:09 PM
I just got that email too!! Love it!!! That's 50% off any ECRD day, so saving $130 on a weekend :thumb:
Plus, ARDC days are just $105 when you're a member.
Oh, and membership is only ~$80 (I joined as a Bike Competitor member, to support them for offering such awesome days, discounts and the new cafe, so that we all avoid salmonella from the old kiosk!! Competitor membership is only $120

chubb
23-08-2013, 08:14 PM
Can someone explain the difference between enthusiasts and competitor?

Little Mick
23-08-2013, 08:59 PM
more discounts for competitor...costs a little more but worth it if you attend events at SMSP... discount entry fee, extra voucher for spectator entry

Marshy
23-08-2013, 10:30 PM
And don't forget that Competitor is waaaay cooler than just an Enthusiast... :attention: :whistle: :horn:

dan
24-08-2013, 08:13 AM
Competitor member over here!

chubb
24-08-2013, 06:44 PM
Reading on this

A 50% discount on your first Ride Day at SMSP each year, offering a saving of up to $150, PLUS a 10% discount on any track days thereafter (Please note the ARDC Track Days are car only).1 - See more at: http://www.ardc.com.au/membership/bike-competitor#sthash.EBfWfQs9.dpuf

is that 10% discount for all SMP days thereafter??

at this stage looks like I'm going with the enthusiast one as the competitor doesnt offer me much more than what I want in the enthusiast one