PDA

View Full Version : Torque Specifications

Junior
18-09-2016, 04:17 PM
I was just wondering how many of your actually torque up your front and rear axle nuts, or do you just do the "tight enough"

Marshy
18-09-2016, 05:01 PM
I've got a torque wrench here somewhere. It's brand new; never opened. The intention was there!!

BoB
18-09-2016, 05:10 PM
Torque it every time , Also the other bolts ie the brake calipers , fork clamps ...and the rest , that way you know that it isn't going to come loose or be over tightened and strip .

Ruckos87
18-09-2016, 05:48 PM
I was just wondering how many of your actually torque up your front and rear axle nuts, or do you just do the "tight enough"

Id be using one if I was you Joel, I've seen what u do to tools[emoji6]
Ive got one in my trailer tools I use but if it's away from the track I don't bother.

Sent from my iPh

Jashdown
18-09-2016, 05:48 PM
My arms my torque wrench. 10Nm is little effort, 100Nm is big effort.

Haven't stripped or had any nuts or bolts come loose yet, so my natural torque wrench must be reasonably well calibrated.

zoidberg
19-09-2016, 08:20 PM
I got one a while back and actually surprised myself at how much I had been over-tightening EVERYTHING. I don't use it religiously anymore, but still do on some stuff when it's within arms reach.

I would highly recommend it. Once you have used one enough, you get to know how much roughly things should be done up.

Leezx10r
20-09-2016, 05:02 AM
Yep I torque most things up Joel, as Nathon said, I was over torquing things, I put it down to my massive guns [emoji87]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marshy
20-09-2016, 06:40 AM
I got one a while back and actually surprised myself at how much I had been over-tightening EVERYTHING.

I'm sure I do this too. I mean, if a bit tight is good, more tight must be bettererer, right? I think that's how it works.....

I was over torquing things, I put it down to my massive guns [emoji87]

Well, they're not for show! Oh wait.....

Linden
20-09-2016, 07:19 AM
I'm sure I do this too. I mean, if a bit tight is good, more tight must be bettererer, right? I think that's how it works.....

Not 100% for the new one but one of the classic over tightening things on Ducati's one is the front axle pinch bolts ... ovals the axle ....

KANGA
20-09-2016, 07:21 AM
Yeah I can never get past that urge to "play it safe" and give it a bit more just in case ... stripped a few things then bought a torque wrench.

Marshy
20-09-2016, 12:27 PM
Not 100% for the new one but one of the classic over tightening things on Ducati's one is the front axle pinch bolts ... ovals the axle ....

I'm pretty good with pinch bolts now, after I rounded off a bunch on the old gixxers. Took me a couple of failures to learn my lesson!

And yes, people still overtighten them. The hint for pinch bolts is all in the name.... I mean, they aren't called tight-as-fuck bolts, are they?!?

Metal-Man
20-09-2016, 01:55 PM
I torque everything, except rear axle nut (that's just "bloody tight" lol) and anything that's under M8 sized bolts.

Little Mick
20-09-2016, 03:45 PM
I actually cant say i have seen too many torque wrenches out in pit lane at a race meet. After a while you get a feel for what a bolt can take ie pinch bolts axles etc. Building in the shop ... no excuses to not using it.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Binksy
20-09-2016, 04:20 PM
To be honest the biggest thing I always like to use a torque wrench for is case bolts. Stripped a couple of threads on my first trackie and since am a bit paranoid. Never had an issue of axles, calipers or pinch bolts undoing themselves or stripping. Seem to have fairly large tolerances.