PDA

View Full Version : Radiator fluid at the track

Jashdown
21-08-2016, 10:38 AM
Alright, so I know ethylene glycol based coolants are a big no no since it's about as grippy as oil on the track, but what other types of coolant? Propylene glycol for example. And then what about water wetter.

I know the st George series says you can only run water in the radiator, but as far as I know, that's just to avoid getting any ethylene glycol on the track in the event of a spill.

I really just want to know if I can run water wetter in my cooling system in the st George series, because draining coolant is a pain and I strongly dislike the idea of running water 100% of the time.

Mr.Ed
21-08-2016, 11:29 AM
IIRC, it's either 100% water or out...

Little Mick
21-08-2016, 11:45 AM
Exactly. Water for the win

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Marshy
21-08-2016, 11:46 AM
What I did today...

If you give it a light flush (more like just drain the coolant and refill it with distilled water), you'll make people happy in the event of a spillage whilst still protecting the engine from rust etc. A touch of coolant still in the system is ok for anything but racing. Just remember to properly flush it before your first race meet.

Remember people, never ever let tap water anywhere near your coolant system and you'll never have any problems with rust. Once you've put tap water in it, it's a lot of flushing to ensure it's all out again. Distilled/demineralised water is cheep cheep from Bunnings in 3 litre containers. Before racing, buy a few containers and flush for a while with the motor running (pour demineralised water in the radiator, while the drain hole on the water pump is open, and the engine is running). The bike only holds a couple of litres (less than you might think), so it's not expensive to do.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Ftarmactalk%2Ecom%2Fforu m%2Fshowpost%2Ephp%3Fp%3D20803&share_tid=230&share_fid=62626&share_type=t&share_pid=20803

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marshy
21-08-2016, 11:48 AM
Radiator Issue

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Ftarmactalk%2Ecom%2Fforu m%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D356&share_tid=356&share_fid=62626&share_type=t

Jashdown
21-08-2016, 04:51 PM
Roger that. I drained the coolant, seemed to be slightly brown, despite there being glycol in it, so must have had tap water in it at some point. It's filled with just demineralised water for now, will double check it in a couple of months to make sure it stays nice and clean.

zooker
22-08-2016, 02:57 PM
After leaving just water in for months last year, I wouldn't recommend it, but my bike is old and could already be quite corroded in the cooling system. I now chuck coolant straight back in the bike after my race meet. As Marshy said, demineralised water is cheap so I flush the rad about 4 times until it runs clear and fill with water the day before a race. Only takes about 15 mins.

Leezx10r
22-08-2016, 05:24 PM
[emoji115]🏻[emoji115]🏻[emoji115]🏻[emoji115]🏻this is what I do!

Ruckos87
22-08-2016, 05:46 PM
My 13 motor will get a flush in the next few weeks, it was new, and has seen nothing but demineralised water.
Will be interesting to see its condition.

Shmicko im expecting

Sent from my iPh

stevem
22-08-2016, 08:07 PM
My 13 motor will get a flush in the next few weeks, it was new, and has seen nothing but demineralised water.
Will be interesting to see its condition.

Shmicko im expecting

Sent from my iPh

+1

Little Mick
22-08-2016, 08:21 PM
Ive had demin water in mine sitting for a long time after marshy recommended it when noah was a boy. Drained it a ehile ago and good as gold.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Marshy
23-08-2016, 05:28 AM
I'm in danger of sounding like I know what I'm talking about! ;)

Good feedback, Little Mick :)

Luke, let us know

Turbo
23-08-2016, 09:01 AM
Yeah, +1 for demineralised. Been clean for years!

nigelnobody
23-08-2016, 12:39 PM
Only drained both mine without running through pump before demineralised replacement.
Prob tiny amount coolant left in system being lazy as i am.(non racing).
I'm thinking only chance of corrosion if contaminants in quality of dem/water,very little if any.