PDA

View Full Version : Prepping used gas tank for welding

KANGA
23-05-2016, 09:58 PM
Hey guys.

I managed to pick up a free damaged ZX tank. Its had a hole ground down and which has been plugged up with epoxy. I've got a mate who can weld up the hole for a proper fix and am planning on throwing some carbon tank covers to hide the damage.

Just wondering if anyone knows how to prep a used gas tank for welding. Trying to find out if there's a good (cheap), reliable way to remove gas fumes from the tank.

I am tempted to throw a match in it and run out of pure stupid giggly curiosity butttt I probably shouldn't.

Anyway keen to see if anyone has some good ideas ... or spare matches.

Carl-52
24-05-2016, 10:38 AM
leave it to empty for a bit (maybe a day outside??) and flush it with water maybe? Then you can clean up the metal for a weld and chase the water out when its good to go back on. Shouldnt be much fuel stuff left in there after a drain and flush after being left outside.

chubb
24-05-2016, 10:40 AM
Hey guys.

I managed to pick up a free damaged ZX tank. Its had a hole ground down and which has been plugged up with epoxy. I've got a mate who can weld up the hole for a proper fix and am planning on throwing some carbon tank covers to hide the damage.

Just wondering if anyone knows how to prep a used gas tank for welding. Trying to find out if there's a good (cheap), reliable way to remove gas fumes from the tank.

I am tempted to throw a match in it and run out of pure stupid giggly curiosity butttt I probably shouldn't.

Anyway keen to see if anyone has some good ideas ... or spare matches.

Do it. And video too please!!! Haha

Linden
24-05-2016, 12:14 PM
Seen/heard all sort of ways - Water - Exhaust pipe (and know of a specific explosion - nasty burns etc)

I suggest use a professional cos its just not worth a few dollars

Turbo
24-05-2016, 01:02 PM
Do it. And video too please!!! Haha

:rofl: :pound:

Ruckos87
24-05-2016, 05:41 PM
I'm no expert but can't you weld it semi full of water? Up to the welded area?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turbo
24-05-2016, 07:02 PM
I'm no expert but ....

This is how the least dangerous advice starts... :lol:

johnnyb
24-05-2016, 08:02 PM
Use a pro (or someone that really knows what they are doing). This is potentially very bad...fumes are the danger. I have heard of pro first steam cleaning, then welding while steam cleaner is blowing through the tank. You also have an option of soldering the tank......need heavy soldering iron ie not your domestic electric one.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nelso
24-05-2016, 08:43 PM
If you leave the cap off and ignite the fumes, they will burn like a blow torch out of the hole, but it won't explode. We did this with all the Jerry cans when we took them to NZ.

Once the fumes are burnt off, just weld it up in a well ventilated area.

The other option is to fill it with water (or an inert gas, like Argon) and weld it, but I'd prefer to burn off the left over fuel to doing this as it's fast and less messing around.

zooker
25-05-2016, 07:32 PM
Stick it up against the exhaust of a running car for a while.

I had to get a surge tank welded for a 4wd a few years ago. The professional welder took it out to his car and held it against the exhaust pipe for a few minutes. Got rid of the explosive fumes from inside which were still there even after washing and letting sit for days.

Negrogrande
03-06-2016, 10:26 AM
I vote drop a match in