PDA

View Full Version : Buying parts private from OS?

Ruckos87
05-04-2016, 05:35 PM
I may have found some rims but from the US. I'm just waiting on some photos ect. But theres no way to guarantee they'll actually be posted once I e paid is there?
I've got this PayPal app now so I can send the money that way but it's a fair risk paying some random in the us???

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

zoidberg
05-04-2016, 05:41 PM
Luke, I guess with paypal, you're covered? I'd be really wary of the buying sight unseen thing though. I have a mate lives just over the border not far from Seattle I think? In canada. Depending on where they are, he could have a look for you?

Ruckos87
05-04-2016, 05:46 PM
Luke, I guess with paypal, you're covered? I'd be really wary of the buying sight unseen thing though. I have a mate lives just over the border not far from Seattle I think? In canada. Depending on where they are, he could have a look for you?

Cheers mate, I'll find out, US is a big place

Mr.Ed
05-04-2016, 05:57 PM
There's a real risk, of course... having said that, I've bought heaps over the years and as much as I want to say I have never been stung, my race ECU is the rock in my shoe. But even then, I bought it as part of a package with another 5-6 items from the same seller and other than the ECU not performing as it should (still works just not as it should) everything else was just as advertised or better. WERA has saved thousands literally!

zoidberg
05-04-2016, 05:58 PM
WERA classifieds make my buying gland pulsate.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Ruckos87
05-04-2016, 06:05 PM

What this pulsating u speak of?

Ruckos87
05-04-2016, 06:07 PM
There's a real risk, of course... having said that, I've bought heaps over the years and as much as I want to say I have never been stung, my race ECU is the rock in my shoe. But even then, I bought it as part of a package with another 5-6 items from the same seller and other than the ECU not performing as it should (still works just not as it should) everything else was just as advertised or better. WERA has saved thousands literally!
These we'rnt advertised I chucked a wanted post on a forum. You know there forum people... All a bit strange [emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]

Mr.Ed
05-04-2016, 08:15 PM
Yes they are... but some of the stuff I've bought was from unlisted sales as well. In the end, it doesn't make a difference if it's been listed or not. The risk lies on buying something from someone you never met and who happens to be miles and miles away. Paypal is pretty good with claims though.

Make sure you request an ETA along with your shipping quote. This is VERY important because you can only open a dispute on Paypal up to 45 days after the purchase date (this could have changed though). I bought a part from Canada once and for whatever reason things tend to take a long time when coming from there... so when it hit the 40 day mark, I told the seller I'd open a dispute just as an insurance for myself. He was fine with it and the part arrived on the 45th day. I then closed the dispute and lived sort of mildly happily ever after.

Ruckos87
05-04-2016, 08:18 PM
Yes they are... but some of the stuff I've bought was from unlisted sales as well. In the end, it doesn't make a difference if it's been listed or not. The risk lies on buying something from someone you never met and who happens to be miles and miles away. Paypal is pretty good with claims though.

Make sure you request an ETA along with your shipping quote. This is VERY important because you can only open a dispute on Paypal up to 45 days after the purchase date (this could have changed though). I bought a part from Canada once and for whatever reason things tend to take a long time when coming from there... so when it hit the 40 day mark, I told the seller I'd open a dispute just as an insurance for myself. He was fine with it and the part arrived on the 45th day. I then closed the dispute and lived sort of mildly happily ever after.

Awesome great advise. I'll await the shipping cost and pics

Mr.Ed
05-04-2016, 08:18 PM

I still have dreams about their prices when the GFC hit... I did the best I could with what I had though!

Marshy
05-04-2016, 09:35 PM
I may have found some rims but from the US. I'm just waiting on some photos ect. But theres no way to guarantee they'll actually be posted once I e paid is there?
I've got this PayPal app now so I can send the money that way but it's a fair risk paying some random in the us???

Thoughts?

I've also bought lots of stuff, and it's almost always been totally fine. Once I got a front rim that had more damage than described (although I reckon they just didn't look closely enough), but Dave fixed it and it was all good. Otherwise I've had absolutely no problems at all.

You must must must use PayPal (not family and friends payments though!), and as Ed said, keep an eye on the elapsed time. You'll be fine! :thumb:

Marshy
05-04-2016, 09:36 PM

I banned myself from looking anymore.... I was going broke!!

Ruckos87
08-04-2016, 10:27 AM
Cheers, Brough them, did the PayPal and estimated delivery thing.Hopefully they turn up.

Nath they are coming from Vagas. Cheers any way.

Thats it now no more spending for me. Especially in US dollars...

Mr.Ed
08-04-2016, 02:04 PM
Thats it now no more spending for me. Especially in US dollars...

If I could get a dollar (back) for every time I said that...