PDA

View Full Version : FXRRC NSW series 2016 CANCELLED

BR
17-02-2016, 09:42 PM
Cancelled for the reasons stated here:

http://www.formula-xtreme.com.au/NewsDetails?newsid=19138

Terry O'Neil "Unfortunately because of some of the changes that have been made we will have to walk away from the FXRRC introductory club level series at Wakefield Park as well. We started running a similar introductory club level series up in Queensland last year and that will not only continue on but expand."

Helmet
17-02-2016, 09:45 PM
So shite. Nsw club race season cut in half now.

Marshy
17-02-2016, 09:50 PM
I won't miss Wakefield....

BR
17-02-2016, 09:56 PM
I'm not a big fan either but I would rather Wakefield than nothing... Would be great if they could hold it at SMSP.

We should start pushing for that....

Helmet
17-02-2016, 10:10 PM
I'm not a big fan either but I would rather Wakefield than nothing... Would be great if they could hold it at SMSP.

Especially for people just starting out in racing like me. Not good enough to run asbk or asc
But not enough club racing to get experience to move on.

Getting fxrrc moved to smsp would be pretty awesome.

Builda
17-02-2016, 10:14 PM
Hey Check this out this is off there website??

Scroll down to view all the dates for 2016

2016 Swann Insurance Australasian Superbike Championship ** Updated 17.2
Rnd 1 … 11th – 12th March Sydney Motorsport Park (Fri-Sat Day/Twilight)
Rnd 2 … 27th – 29th May Mallala Raceway SA
Rnd 3 … 8th – 10th July Queensland Raceway Qld
Rnd 4 … 9th – 10th September Sydney Motorsport Park (Fri-Sat Day/Twilight)
Rnd 5 … 28th - 30th October Queensland Raceway Qld
Rnd 6 …16th – 17th Dec Sydney Motorsport Park (Fri–Sat Day/Twilight)

2016 QRFX – Saturday (afternoon) & Sunday - Queensland Raceway
Rnd 1 … 16 – 17 April
Rnd 2 … 25 – 26 June
Rnd 3 … 3 - 4 September
Rnd 4 … 19 – 20 November

2016 FXRRC – Saturday & Sunday - Wakefield Park
Rnd 1 … 2 – 3 April
Rnd 2 … 23 – 24 July
Rnd 3 … 8 - 9 October

Helmet
17-02-2016, 10:18 PM

Rnd 1 … 16 – 17 April
Rnd 2 … 25 – 26 June
Rnd 3 … 3 - 4 September
Rnd 4 … 19 – 20 November

Rnd 1 … 2 – 3 April
Rnd 2 … 23 – 24 July
Rnd 3 … 8 - 9 October

Terry confirmed to me that fxrrc is cancelled for this year man. The website still needs updating it seems.

BR
17-02-2016, 10:18 PM

Rnd 1 … 16 – 17 April
Rnd 2 … 25 – 26 June
Rnd 3 … 3 - 4 September
Rnd 4 … 19 – 20 November

Rnd 1 … 2 – 3 April
Rnd 2 … 23 – 24 July
Rnd 3 … 8 - 9 October
Yeah that's been up there for a while, but that quote from TO was from an hour ago.

Binksy
17-02-2016, 10:20 PM
Pretty shameful stuff. We need more club racing not less. Sounds like politics getting in the way of racing.

Many awesome times at wakefield need more racing there.

Builda
17-02-2016, 10:20 PM
That sux

Binksy
17-02-2016, 10:45 PM
Wonder if StG could move their weekend to the april FXRRC weekend. Would get heaps better turn out I'd imagine..

BR
17-02-2016, 10:56 PM
Wonder if StG could move their weekend to the april FXRRC weekend. Would get heaps better turn out I'd imagine..
Good idea. Would prefer an extra round though

windy
18-02-2016, 07:56 AM
Especially for people just starting out in racing like me. Not good enough to run asbk or asc
But not enough club racing to get experience to move on.

Getting fxrrc moved to smsp would be pretty awesome.
Couldn't agree with you more mate. Not a fan of wakey but its better then nothing.
Think i have had my say on TONs post enough haha.
Oh well maybe need to enter the ASC rounds purely for seat time. Will be embarrassing though haha

Marshy
18-02-2016, 08:45 AM
Oh well maybe need to enter the ASC rounds purely for seat time. Will be embarrassing though haha

You might be pleasantly surprised, mate. There's usually as much range of abilities across the field as at a club day. Have a look at the results online. Besides, being a slower rider in a faster group is the best way to get quicker! It's like at a track day - you learn more from being dragged along by slightly quicker riders. Of course, I don't mean be Yellow pace in Red.

Marshy
18-02-2016, 08:52 AM

It might be worth petitioning the St George committee to expand their offering with a class for noobs. As I understand it, the problem with RYM specifically is the non-track-prepared nature of the bikes. Letting road bikes race is potentially problematic from a safety and insurance point of view.

Linden
18-02-2016, 09:24 AM

Make it bloody busy for bears

NATIONALS ROUND 1 MAC PARK - March 26 - March 27 Mac Park Mt. Gambier, Australia

CLUBBIES ROUND 2 BROADFORD - April 9 - April 10 Broadford State Motorcycle Complex,

put one on the 4 and that's 3meeting & 2600 + 400 + 1600 = 4600km in 3weeks

Mr.Ed
18-02-2016, 09:29 AM
If everyone joins ASC and etc it would just be a matter of time before they create a new class... There wouldn't be enough spots for everyone on most classes and some of the much slower riders would annoy the faster riders during qually/practice.

Hopefully it won't come to that and some common sense will prevail with new rounds or series being announce in the near future. Then again, common sense and racing series in Australia...

Ruckos87
18-02-2016, 05:55 PM
This off face book... I was booked in for March 18as well... Nothing mid week at SMSP in March [emoji20]

Please be aware that there has been a parting of ways between ourselves and Wakefield Park Raceway management.That being the case our scheduled ride day for next week has been cancelled. My apologies for any inconvenience this has caused to those who were booked in. For those who were booked in please be aware no one has been charged for next weeks or any other future ride day. ... cheers Terry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chicken16
18-02-2016, 06:17 PM
That sux! I hope the management at WP come to regret this. No, it's not the best track in the world but the track days, RYM and the FXRRC were run really well and we're always fun. Being much closer to Canberra than anywhere else also helped.

chubb
18-02-2016, 06:22 PM
All further WP ride days have also been cancelled

Binksy
18-02-2016, 07:13 PM
That sux! I hope the management at WP come to regret this. No, it's not the best track in the world but the track days, RYM and the FXRRC were run really well and we're always fun. Being much closer to Canberra than anywhere else also helped.

Just highlights Canberra's need for a race track. Can pretty much just call EC the local track now :(

Mr.Ed
18-02-2016, 07:58 PM
So basically no more motorcycles at WP?

chubb
18-02-2016, 08:08 PM
Sounds like it. Same with Winton. I was interested in the resurfaced track!

Mr.Ed
18-02-2016, 08:14 PM
Hmmm... all of a sudden your moving to Melbourne sounds a lot more like winning the lottery, hey?!

Ruckos87
18-02-2016, 08:15 PM
Is that just FX and ride days though? What about StGeorge in August? Although wouldn't be much point without track days for practice.
Do you Reckon another operator has the foot in the door already ???

Nelso
18-02-2016, 08:51 PM
So basically no more motorcycles at WP?

I'd say they are just going to get someone else to run them.

Good riddance to him. The club racing was NOT club racing, he just trademarked the name 'club racing' to include it in the title. It was simply a cheaper version of FX/ASC for slower riders. All profits went into HIS pockets, not a club and it prevented clubs from accessing the track to run actual CLUB racing.

I'm fairly new to this sport, but I still remember St George getting shafted when TON started his 'club' racing and scheduled a meet the weekend before St George had a race meet, forcing them to cancel their event and leaving them with only 3 rounds and at risk of losing their major sponsor. The whole thing was a bid by TON to sink St George (the only modern racing club left standing) and create a total monopoly on Road Racing in NSW. If it wasn't for St George branching out to Broadford, the road racing part of the club would have folded and we would have had NO club racing in this state at all.

Personally, I am glad the fat prick is gone from Wakefield. Hopefully, it will result in other clubs getting better access to the track and the track being better maintained.

Stu23
18-02-2016, 09:37 PM
Dont hold back Rob ! hehehe but yes i remember that season..... not good in anyones view lots of blame and counter blame

Gee this country is fucked for bike racing.........

Can anyone else see this and I dont mean just us :(

Nelso
18-02-2016, 09:41 PM
TON just confirmed on Facebook that Wakefield will get someone else to run the ride days, so don't panic, we will still get to ride there.

Stu23
18-02-2016, 09:44 PM
I reckon it will be cheaper too :) Hahahahahahaa maybe not

Nelso
18-02-2016, 09:46 PM

The sad part is, it never used to be. In the 90's road racing was thriving. Coincidentally, it has gone downhill ever since guess who has been involved. Now I'm not saying it's all his fault, but it is interesting to note that it has gradually declined (died) since he started FX. I think the only person that's been worse for the sport has been Konsky.

Marshy
18-02-2016, 09:49 PM

And there's an obvious cause for most of it. Perhaps we are seeing some very recent improvement.

Mstevo
19-02-2016, 08:20 AM
TON just confirmed on Facebook that Wakefield will get someone else to run the ride days, so don't panic, we will still get to ride there.

I'm guessing my 2 free ridedays I won in his club series won't be honored by either WP or the new operator :-(
FYI TON talked the new management team out of charging $50 to use the carports, but they pushed ahead with $80 for a garage and the $195 ride fee increases
Winton have no ride days and have separated the bikes from their Friday Test and Tune days, bikes have only 3 Friday test and tune days this year, there seems to be a backward pattern to the Benalla Auto Clubs think regarding motorbike using their facilities

Like him or loath him he has increased motorcycle racer numbers through his race your mates/club racing.

BR
19-02-2016, 04:06 PM
Some of you probably don’t know me, I have only returned to track riding a couple of months ago. A few years ago I was doing regular track days but I chucked it in because of the problem of not enough track time. It frustrates the shit out of me. I don't know about you, but I want to ride every weekend.

Here are some thoughts for discussion. Some of it is obvious stuff. Just wanted to get a bit of discussion going around what can be done to change our predicament.

We need more tracks within a reasonable distance of Sydney. More tracks, more competition for the racing dollar, lower prices, more events. How do we do this?
We need to do everything that we can to make CASAR Park happen and to ensure we have representation on the board.

More racing per day – During daylight savings we should be demanding extended racing schedules. I.e. to 8pm. If you are interested in this then we should be asking for it.

What about a summer series? Would there be interest in that? More rounds of St George? Why aren’t there more??

Reducing the cost of traveling to other tracks such as Qld and Vic. This will put pressure on the local (NSW) promoter to keep costs down and make staying local attractive.
This could be done via a riders co-operative. Say 10-15 people decide to do Hartwell at Broadford then you could make group bookings for accommodation and request a reduced rate.
Combine transport, instead of everyone making their own way there, combine transport and share the costs.
Could you also get discounted rates on tyres etc if done as a group buy?

What about an informal series made up of select rounds from other series? I cbf going to QLD for every round of QRFX, but I could see myself doing one round. So an informal series made up of say 1 round of QRFX, 1 round of Hartwell, 1 round of St George etc. Map the categories across the different events, then combine results from each event to arrive at final results.
This would have the benefits of extending the season (informally) and put pressure on promoters and demonstrate the level of demand.
We could have trophies and everything.
That’s probably a stupid idea. Ignore me.

It strikes me that if the existing institutions and promoters are not delivering what we want then we need to go around them and make it happen ourselves. Or at least make ourselves heard.

Carl-52
19-02-2016, 04:57 PM
Ya BR we know you :D Been trying to find you at the track a few times when ive seen your name turn up... Pretty sure i bought my Perini White race suit, berik boots and Bell helmet off you when you were finishing up! Its now the Flat track suit (if and when flat track events run when i can get to them) Served me well until i crashed it a few times at Broadford. Yep, the promoters dont want to help the little guys and with the St G club being the only club racing in NSW (possibly FX considered as club racing if all the teams leave for ASBK) there isnt much tracktime. Couple of people do the Hartwell rounds at Broadford and PI. The transport thing would be cool, just depends if people trust others with their track babies (im tentative). Accomodation is the big one i think for interstate rounds.

BR
20-02-2016, 08:46 AM
Hey Carl ☺ I've seen you there but I don't think you recognized me! My hair is a bit longer than it was...

Really glad the gear is working for you. I have seen you on track and you are flying! Awesome mate [emoji3] Keep it up!

I agree that the little guy is not going to be a high priority for any of the stakeholders...except the little guy. Fair enough, it's not a charity and they don't owe us anything we don't pay for.

Clearly there is a demand for more club level racing in NSW. So why aren't there more St George rounds? Anyone know?

Little Mick
20-02-2016, 09:05 AM
interesting commentary.....

wonder if that would change if the facts were involved...

Sorry Peeps, but a lot of the emotion above should be considered in a wider context.

None of us here know the full story, and the ins and outs of the decisions made.. suffice to say, there are at least 3 sides to every story...

I put it out there to anyone who has raced in FXRRC... did you enjoy it? did you go back?

How can not having 2 tracks (Wacky and Winton) which are run by BAC who have decided to not do AASA bike licences anymore (not sure of their drivers for this decision) and appear to not have an interest in bikes, be better for anyone in the bike game?

From a personal point, giving me an MA licence in lieu of the now cancelled AASA licence sounds honourable (at least I am covered for the next month or 2).... it also now costs me an extra couple of hundred to maintain the said licence... for an occasional race meet.

I'm not sure any of this has helped the sport.

Might be time to get back into Road riding....

Dismantling soap box

Little Mick
20-02-2016, 09:09 AM
Hey Carl ☺ I've seen you there but I don't think you recognized me! My hair is a bit longer than it was...

Really glad the gear is working for you. I have seen you on track and you are flying! Awesome mate [emoji3] Keep it up!

I agree that the little guy is not going to be a high priority for any of the stakeholders...except the little guy. Fair enough, it's not a charity and they don't owe us anything we don't pay for.

Clearly there is a demand for more club level racing in NSW. So why aren't there more St George rounds? Anyone know?

$$ and Time Bernie

it costs a lot to hire the track and the tracks give priority to 4 wheels.. the tracks are usually booked out over a year in advance so getting a run means bumping someone else out of the timeslot... ie another committed and paying customer..

and realistically, how many people can afford the time/ cost to attend 10 rounds in one series? would put it out there that there may be 10-20 who would, but the majority wouldn't so the championship would be decided by those that came to every event regardless of points...

BR
20-02-2016, 09:17 AM

Sorry Peeps, but a lot of the emotion above should be considered in a wider context.

None of us here know the full story, and the ins and outs of the decisions made.. suffice to say, there are at least 3 sides to every story...

I put it out there to anyone who has raced in FXRRC... did you enjoy it? did you go back?

How can not having 2 tracks (Wacky and Winton) which are run by BAC who have decided to not do AASA bike licences anymore (not sure of their drivers for this decision) and appear to not have an interest in bikes, be better for anyone in the bike game?

From a personal point, giving me an MA licence in lieu of the now cancelled AASA licence sounds honourable (at least I am covered for the next month or 2).... it also now costs me an extra couple of hundred to maintain the said licence... for an occasional race meet.

Dismantling soap box
I completely agree Mick. This is the reason for this particular issue. But I think there is a more fundamental problem here. As you said in your second post...Track Time. Everything else flows from that.

Point taken re additional St George rounds.

Marshy
20-02-2016, 09:28 AM

Primarily cost, and a lack of desire to do the heavy lifting involved in planning and running additional race meets.

St George makes a substantial loss on race meets as often as it makes a tiny surplus. The sheer cost of running a meet at EC is uneconomic unless it's incredibly well attended (and they don't even pay anyone, so they are completely reliant on volunteers, which are also in short supply). So it's likely to cost the club even more money to run additional events.

But mostly it's because it's almost entirely organised and run by Jan Blizzard, who is about 115 years old, does it out of love for motorcycle racing (her long long long since dearly departed hubby was a stalwart racer and then official.... the Arthur Blizzard Memorial Steward's Room is of course in his memory).

Bless her cotton socks; she does an amazing job, but there are limits! God knows what's gonna happen if her health deteriorates further.

Allison has been doing a fantastic job becoming the new Jan, and for that we should all be very grateful. Yay!

What really needs to happen is a changing of the guard at the club committee, or a much stronger road-race representation. Like MA, the club is 80% about dirt bikes. And frankly, the chook chasers carry us road racers financially, for when nobody turns up at Broadford, or the 4 hour, or (I foresee) at Phillip Island in the dead of winter, and the club loses $10k to 20k on a race meet.

We are a fickle bunch! We want more and varied racing, yet when it is provided for us we are fair-weather racers and only attend if we feel like it.

Yes, the calendar is backwards and it should be changed, but there are competing interests. Broadford is a good example: the first year (June long weekend) was very well attended, but the following year at the same time wasn't. People wanted warmer weather, so it was moved to September (from memory), and nobody turned up then either! So the assumption by the club was that people didn't want to travel without the June long weekend Monday public holiday to drive home (rightly or wrongly), and June has since remained the preferred 'away' round. Hence the PI date.

Soooo, answers on a postcard. You can't please all of the people etc.

When was the last time anyone attended one of the fortnightly committee meetings? Admittedly they are horribly inconvenient, being roughly Sutherland and about an-hour-and-quarter away for me, plus on a school night, which is even worse. But still, without voicing any of this, we are just pissing in the wind on an online forum!!

Mr.Ed
20-02-2016, 11:21 AM

Dismantling soap box

This!

And also, you're right Nick... ppl want to race at the warmer days. Everyone knows that. I understand it's hard to book the track on the 'best' part of year due to cars also wanting those dates and being more financially viable. But at the same time, if you had a steady race calendar with races like PI or Winton happening in November for example instead of changing every year, I think it would see attendance grow. Especially if like BR said, the organizers took advantage of the daylight savings by adding a lap or 2 per race...

Mick also hit the nail when he said that very few ppl would attend 10 rounds. So again, what you need is value for money to attract the "undecided" and using the daylight saving would allow them to do just that at virtually no extra cost. Obviously I have no idea of the implications of that, i.e. contract or insurance issues... but it does sound like a no brainer for a club that is struggling.

Krackeye
20-02-2016, 11:25 AM
^^^^^ What he said. (Nick)

And like Frida and Agnetha said.....Money, money, money!
One day soon I' will win a gazillion dollars, build two new race tracks, have entry fees locked at $250, develop my own tyre company and fix every meet so I win!
WINNING!

Marshy
20-02-2016, 11:49 AM

I respectfully disagree, as usual, with your view Mick.

AASA was a workaround for TON to dodge the fact that the governing body of our sport thought what TON was doing to splinter the sport into two competing series for personal gain was wrong. I agree. Would you really argue that having two competing series is good for the sport?? Superleague, anyone?

Remember that TON had just been fired by MA from running ASBK, 5 years into a 10 year contract. Nobody really knows the underlying reasons for that, but to have the governing body make a judgement for the benefit of the sport should be respected, not circumvented.

This RACER insurance and track licensing bullshit is AASA all over again but with a different name. It's circumventing the governing body, again for personal gain, demonstrably not for the good of the sport.

The FXRRC ("FX Road Racing Club", with a disclaimer that 'Road Racing Club' is a registered business name of TON's company, not an actual club) was designed to run St George out of business. He even copied the prizes and rule structure. He scheduled a race meet for a week prior to ST George, to steal the club's customers.

RYM is the one decent thing he's done. But that has been corrupted too; it used to be run with a track day, not with a race meet. Running it as a proper race meet again just competes with St George.

I agree St George should implement some better 'intro to racing' program, however insurance issues for TON are indicating that letting road bikes go racing is perhaps not the best way to go. If you broke your neck (or worse) racing in RYM because a road-going race bike wasn't lockwired, what would you think of RYM in it's current form?

Binksy
20-02-2016, 01:36 PM
Sure ton is trying to make some coin out of it. But for a private race series to be able to compete against and to be realistic completely dominate ma series for the last couple of years while still making the organiser money says a huge amount about the ma organised events.

If the clubs and asbk series were run properly tons events would never had got anywhere. Nobody wants 2 series to compete against each other but really if a competitor can take that much business off these existing organizations it says they aren't doing things too well.

I'd love the new push for asbk to succeed and i hope it does.

Marshy
20-02-2016, 06:22 PM
I'd love the new push for asbk to succeed and i hope it does.

Speaking of which (and I promise to stop criticising the rotund one for a while), did anyone notice that both Yamaha and Honda have quietly switched camps? Honda for the year for sure, and the last holdout Yamaha on a conditional basis, depending on how round 1 at WSBK goes.

Honda: http://www.cycleonline.com.au/2016/02/19/subtle-asbk-switch-confirmed-crankt-protein-honda-racing/

Yamaha: http://www.cycleonline.com.au/2016/02/18/yamaha-racing-team-reconsider-fx-asc-commitment/

In looking for those links, I just found some more info on what I've been saying, if we aren't all sick of it by now ;)
http://www.cycleonline.com.au/2016/02/20/cycle-360-32/

Little Mick
20-02-2016, 07:21 PM
I respectfully disagree, as usual, with your view Mick.

Thats what makes healthy debate mate so no probs there from my end. If we all agreed there would be no point of the discussion.

As a general comment and not aimed at anybody in particular, discussion tends to degenerate when comments become personal emotional attacks on individuals without relevence to the issues at hand. Focusing on facts helps keep the discussion going and productive.

I put it out there, wasnt there a mass disgruntement among MA members about the way MA was running things in recent years? To the point that a new board was elected I believe?

As the governing body should people have not just accepted the way it was being run?

Obviously not and people choose different options to improve the situation.

Not everyone agrees with those actions.. always 3 sides to it...

Slipped off soap box again

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

Marshy
20-02-2016, 07:53 PM
Well said, Little Mick :thumb: It's just a friendly discussion, with different (not incorrect) viewpoints.

I agree wholeheartedly that MA was a basket case until a couple of years ago, although it wasn't always thus. The whole Konsky and White days were dark, dysfunctional days that are thoroughly best forgotten. Changes took too long to happen, and we have all suffered for it in various ways. Certainly, starting a competing series is one valid way to deal with that situation.

Anyhoooo, it is interesting times we are moving into this year. ASBK's bid to cement itself as the premier national series again looks strong this year. I hope the racing is great! I'll do my part and carve up as many people as I can on my way to victory ;)

:pound: :pound: :pound:

Mstevo
20-02-2016, 08:29 PM
we do need multiple series in NSW, but they need to be series that compliment each other, in both cost and format, if TON was able to run his RYM and "club series in at SMSP if would have been the best of them all, although granted the 70-80 odd competitors it attracted at WP made it a great meet, easy going and plenty of races with plenty of laps, and most of my races were hard fought and clean racing...Wakefields layout of being able to see 90% of the track from the pits also added greatly to the atmosphere, as you could watch other races while doing your own thing in your garage :-)
I'll miss them :-(

Little Mick
20-02-2016, 08:34 PM
My first race meet other than rym was fxrrc at ec. It was like a drug. Ed, Bernie, penko, Stu, to name a few were all there and it was the start of some great friendships. Bernie and I were battling at the back and sheepstations were at stake lol. Was one I'll remember for a long time

Nelso
20-02-2016, 08:53 PM
we do need multiple series in NSW, but they need to be series that compliment each other, in both cost and format, if TON was able to run his RYM and "club series in at SMSP if would have been the best of them all, although granted the 70-80 odd competitors it attracted at WP made it a great meet, easy going and plenty of races with plenty of laps, and most of my races were hard fought and clean racing...Wakefields layout of being able to see 90% of the track from the pits also added greatly to the atmosphere, as you could watch other races while doing your own thing in your garage :-)
I'll miss them :-(

If you ran RYM at SMSP with 80 riders, your entry would be over $1000, otherwise the promoter would do their arse.

Nelso
20-02-2016, 09:07 PM
Speaking of which (and I promise to stop criticising the rotund one for a while), did anyone notice that both Yamaha and Honda have quietly switched camps? Honda for the year for sure, and the last holdout Yamaha on a conditional basis, depending on how round 1 at WSBK goes.

Honda: http://www.cycleonline.com.au/2016/02/19/subtle-asbk-switch-confirmed-crankt-protein-honda-racing/

Yamaha: http://www.cycleonline.com.au/2016/02/18/yamaha-racing-team-reconsider-fx-asc-commitment/

In looking for those links, I just found some more info on what I've been saying, if we aren't all sick of it by now ;)
http://www.cycleonline.com.au/2016/02/20/cycle-360-32/

It looks to me like ASBK is starting to build momentum, which will no doubt see FX returning to where it was a few years ago. It has only flourished the way it has, due to the mismanagement of ASBK and once it is back up and running, it will be seen as the true premier class of racing again and (I would think) the top teams will leave FX.

Little Mick
20-02-2016, 09:17 PM
Bernie. ..

Remember this. .?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160220/e6b06361b7770266460c43cace583826.jpg

BR
20-02-2016, 09:33 PM
Bernie. ..

Remember this. .?

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160220/e6b06361b7770266460c43cace583826.jpg

Awesome stuff. Fond memories. [emoji3]

Stu23
20-02-2016, 10:26 PM
What would i like .... st george to continue.......4 or 5 rounds a year............ Terry to run an East coast series aimed between club racing and ASBK....... a nice 3 tier race structure. club advanced and downright scarey. All it takes is to stop trying to compete with national racing and promote a viable east coast series that would expose riders to a higher level of racing and professionalism.. and work together . It could be done and I think it would be well attended if the calendars worked together with each other. That really isnt too difficult is it.. Everyone wins......

Marshy
20-02-2016, 10:52 PM
and (I would think) the top teams will leave FX.

It looks like they already have! Yamaha are still a 'maybe' but the rest are ASBK only - Honda, Ducati/Cube Racing, Superbike Source Racing. I mean, who else is there? ;) :laugh:

chicken16
20-02-2016, 11:19 PM
What would i like .... st george to continue.......4 or 5 rounds a year............ Terry to run an East coast series aimed between club racing and ASBK....... a nice 3 tier race structure. club advanced and downright scarey. All it takes is to stop trying to compete with national racing and promote a viable east coast series that would expose riders to a higher level of racing and professionalism.. and work together . It could be done and I think it would be well attended if the calendars worked together with each other. That really isnt too difficult is it.. Everyone wins......

Exactly. Plenty of racing for all levels.

BR
22-02-2016, 10:37 AM
Was watching some BSB 2015 racing over the weekend. They have spectators. Actual spectators. Not just family and friends of the riders. Grandstands full of people.

Marshy
22-02-2016, 10:47 AM
Yeah, the back story for how BSB pulled itself out of the doldrums (like racing is here) and into the premiere superbike series is a fascinating one! More successful than WSBK, by many measures. They are advantaged by having lots of different tracks within a short-ish drive of each other, but still, it's not the only reason for success. Think our taxi-racing, which does very very well, despite the tyranny of distance.

Marshy
22-02-2016, 10:51 AM
Speaking of crowds, the olden days, running with the V8s (which we should be doing again):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4E2UhJkBGx0

Carl-52
22-02-2016, 11:08 AM
BSB is anothr beast entirely, just like Monster Energy Supercross in the States... (THE MODEL racing series for accessibility, fans, riders and racing. Lost of series should take cues from it). I remember going to BSB practice days 10 years ago now and they were busy for spectating full grandstands too, but also could just walk through the pits to all of the bsb teams in scruitneering and everything as a kid under the age of 10.

Stu23
22-02-2016, 12:06 PM
Was a good day that Carl.... free of charge... freebies....... and up close and personal with everyone :)

Marshy
22-02-2016, 12:14 PM
Was a good day that Carl.... free of charge... freebies....... and up close and personal with everyone :)

And we seem to think it's a good idea to charge a significant entry fee to get in to watch a club event....

Daft.

Carl-52
22-02-2016, 02:22 PM
Watching Cal Crutchlow and Tom Sykes tuck into Pie, mushy pee's and chips from the cafe/bar, standing within the crowd watching the supersports jump the mountain was also a big thing lololol But yes, charging entry to a club round is insane. I have plenty of people who would like to come out and watch but having to pay (15 or 20 bux) for a ticket, for people my age just wanting to come watch a few races in before/after weekend work + fuel to get there, its not going to happen.

Nelso
22-02-2016, 11:30 PM

TON will never work WITH anybody unless there's a win in it for him. He is as greedy as he is fat and arrogant.

If you guys want St George to improve and run more meets, you need to get involved in running the club to make it happen. From what I've seen in the past 12 months, St George is heading in the direction of PCRA a couple of years ago, which, sadly, will only see numbers drop.

Little Mick
23-02-2016, 12:16 AM

Helmet
23-02-2016, 07:32 AM
Watching Cal Crutchlow and Tom Sykes tuck into Pie, mushy pee's and chips from the cafe/bar, standing within the crowd watching the supersports jump the mountain was also a big thing lololol But yes, charging entry to a club round is insane. I have plenty of people who would like to come out and watch but having to pay (15 or 20 bux) for a ticket, for people my age just wanting to come watch a few races in before/after weekend work + fuel to get there, its not going to happen.

Agreed. I had a few friends keen to come to round one, who backed out after hearing it costs to get in.

Linden
23-02-2016, 09:44 AM
Agreed. I had a few friends keen to come to round one, who backed out after hearing it costs to get in.

Walk around the pits and collect some spare passes and leave at the gate ... happens in bears all the time

simonr
23-02-2016, 10:17 AM
Walk around the pits and collect some spare passes and leave at the gate ... happens in bears all the time

point is that you shouldn't have to. its a club race meeting

Turbo
23-02-2016, 11:37 AM
point is that you shouldn't have to. its a club race meeting

Agreed! I wonder how much they actually take on the gate?
I'm sure a gold coin donation for the club would raise more, be better received and get more people down.

Linden
23-02-2016, 12:58 PM
I'm sure a gold coin donation for the club would raise more, be better received and get more people down.

I believe that its the track (ARDC) requires this

Helmet
23-02-2016, 01:38 PM

In Irish road racing they only ask for a fiver for one day entry, or 15 for three. They started doing it that way a few years ago.
Sure, the first two years the clubs took a big hit financially, but now they have an embarrassment of riches when it comes to spectators. Clubs,& aussie racing in general could take a few tips from that.

Marshy
23-02-2016, 01:40 PM
I believe that its the track (ARDC) requires this

That's not my understanding. It's the club that does, and I've heard them consider scrapping it (I brought it up at a club meeting, IIRC), but Jan stated that on a good weekend they make about $1k at the gate, which would need to be replaced somehow (ie from the riders). I'm sure they don't factor in the cost of printing the tickets, the time it takes to stuff envelopes, the postage to mail them to everyone, the ticket collectors at the gate (with potential cash handling issues) etc etc. So, round it down (to compensate for not incurring additional costs) and it's roughly $5 per rider.

Personally I'd be very happy to pay an extra $5 to avoid all the heartache. And Owen's suggestion about a gold coin donation to the club is tops! I'd throw some coins in on the way in myself.

And please please please don't be misled by TON's crap about 'perceived value'. It's club racing for f@#k's sake, not MotoGP. The only people that currently attend are family and friends. That could potentially expand to interested motorcycle riders who wouldn't pay $30 at the gate for an hour of club racing, but might well pop in for a look if it was free/donation. Forcing people to pay a significant sum is offputting; suggesting people might like to donate to the club would, I reckon, raise a similar amount but attract many more 'casual' spectators.

My $0.02, or rather $2 (gold coin) ;)

simonr
23-02-2016, 02:01 PM
At my first race weekend last November, a mate wanted to come watch, so I teed up a ticket for him and left it at the gate in an envelope. when he got there, he was let straight in and so didn't take the ripped stub from the gate attendant. Then he got further down the road and through the tunnel, where he parked over near the ARDC office and was then accosted by a dickhead security guard because he couldn't produce his ticket.

the whole thing was completely ridiculous, its a club day for fks sake. and do you think he wanted to come watch in feb? no chance

the time, effort and money that is spent sending out tickets in the mail must far outweigh any benefit from the gate takings.

BR
23-02-2016, 03:07 PM
Would be happy to pay an extra $5-10 in order to make entry free. Would pay another $5-10 to pay for marketing of the series to the wider community....but I'd want to know I'm getting value for money.

Ruckos87
29-02-2016, 06:11 PM
Looks like ride days are back at WP
http://bit.ly/1UtsJtU

chicken16
29-02-2016, 06:58 PM
Common sense prevails!

Krackeye
29-02-2016, 07:00 PM
$150 as well. Think I'll go to the one on the 10th. Been a couple of years and haven't had the Blade there.

chubb
29-02-2016, 07:30 PM
150 is definitely a darn sight better than 200 plus garage

Ruckos87
29-02-2016, 07:37 PM
As it should be can't really justify SMSP prices down there .

Mstevo
29-02-2016, 07:50 PM
+1 for the 10th ;-)

EDIT just check my diary and I already have a job booked in for that afternoon, might have to change to the 15th

chicken16
29-02-2016, 08:53 PM
Are car ports included in the price? There was talk about the new management charging for them.

Krackeye
29-02-2016, 09:20 PM
Not sure. Carports out the back have always been free. Garages were the only extra charge. Like the carports better anyway.

chicken16
29-02-2016, 09:55 PM
Not sure. Carports out the back have always been free. Garages were the only extra charge. Like the carports better anyway.

They were before but apparently the new management were trying to introduce a $50 fee to use the car ports which is ridiculous. It's not like you can set up in the public car park.

Ruckos87
01-03-2016, 03:48 PM
They were before but apparently the new management were trying to introduce a $50 fee to use the car ports which is ridiculous. It's not like you can set up in the public car park.

It's $80 for a garage car ports are free. Looks like I'll head down in the 15th

Krackeye
02-03-2016, 10:09 AM
Looks like ride days are back at WP
http://bit.ly/1UtsJtU

Also mentions no booking required.

Ruckos87
11-03-2016, 08:42 AM
Anyone go down ( or up) yesterday ? I'll be there Tue interested to hear how it was run???

Mstevo
11-03-2016, 09:21 AM
sounded like it was run like an ARDC day, Tim Sanford was in charge.
30 odd people showed up, they started off with 3 groups doing 30min sessions which dropped to 15min after lunch
The regular track rider guys loved it, i'm just not sure how the newbies will go, WP gets a lot of first timers due to lots of factors that were provided by the previous ride day operator, which will no longer be present at WP :-(
I'm heading there on Tuesday fingers crossed, after Monday at SMSP, so I'll get to see first hand.....Then again checking Tuesdays forecast 90% chance 10-20mm and only 21o

Ruckos87
11-03-2016, 09:28 AM
sounded like it was run like an ARDC day, Tim Sanford was in charge.
30 odd people showed up, they started off with 3 groups doing 30min sessions which dropped to 15min after lunch
The regular track rider guys loved it, i'm just not sure how the newbies will go, WP gets a lot of first timers due to lots of factors that were provided by the previous ride day operator, which will no longer be present at WP :-(
I'm heading there on Tuesday fingers crossed, after Monday at SMSP, so I'll get to see first hand.....Then again checking Tuesdays forecast 90% chance 10-20mm and only 21o

Ok cool see u there.

Hmmmm Possible Rain ... No wets on the new bike yet [emoji20]

Nelso
11-03-2016, 09:54 PM
Anyone go down ( or up) yesterday ? I'll be there Tue interested to hear how it was run???

Yep, Leanne and I went and it was a fucking awesome day. It was really well run, was very relaxed and the best part was being treated like an adult and asked what options we, as riders, would prefer to do when things didn't go to plan. It was as if the operators were there to please the paying customers and fuck me, isn't that a nice change!

The day started out with someone coming around to your shed to scrutineer your bike where you had it set up. Riders briefing was by Tim Sandford and lasted less than 10 minutes. It was professional, to the point, covered the essentials and was unpretentious (the previous operator could learn a thing or 10 from Tim). Guys that were new to track riding stayed after the briefing to have a chat with Tim and he explained a few more things to them. The groups were split into slow, medium and fast, plus an ASBK group. Later in the day, after we had lost some time, they gave us the option to merge the 3 groups into 2 to maximise our time on the track, which worked out very well.

Overall, the day ran very smoothly. The timing of calling groups up, was perfect and there was no waiting around letting tyres go cold. The transition from one group to the next was also perfect (as the last of the previous group were entering pit lane, the group were heading onto the track) and crashes, pick-ups were handled quickly and efficiently. I honestly can't fault anything they did and personally, think they did an awesome job, especially since it was their first time running a ride day. They actually acknowledged at the start of the day that there were likely things that they would get wrong and were open to advice and criticism as they went along, but there was nothing that needed fixing.

So, for me, it was a huge improvement over previous ride days I did at Wakefield and I am really keen to get back down there and do a few more, now.:whoo:

Ruckos87
11-03-2016, 10:44 PM
Yep, Leanne and I went and it was a fucking awesome day. It was really well run, was very relaxed and the best part was being treated like an adult and asked what options we, as riders, would prefer to do when things didn't go to plan. It was as if the operators were there to please the paying customers and fuck me, isn't that a nice change!

The day started out with someone coming around to your shed to scrutineer your bike where you had it set up. Riders briefing was by Tim Sandford and lasted less than 10 minutes. It was professional, to the point, covered the essentials and was unpretentious (the previous operator could learn a thing or 10 from Tim). Guys that were new to track riding stayed after the briefing to have a chat with Tim and he explained a few more things to them. The groups were split into slow, medium and fast, plus an ASBK group. Later in the day, after we had lost some time, they gave us the option to merge the 3 groups into 2 to maximise our time on the track, which worked out very well.

Overall, the day ran very smoothly. The timing of calling groups up, was perfect and there was no waiting around letting tyres go cold. The transition from one group to the next was also perfect (as the last of the previous group were entering pit lane, the group were heading onto the track) and crashes, pick-ups were handled quickly and efficiently. I honestly can't fault anything they did and personally, think they did an awesome job, especially since it was their first time running a ride day. They actually acknowledged at the start of the day that there were likely things that they would get wrong and were open to advice and criticism as they went along, but there was nothing that needed fixing.

So, for me, it was a huge improvement over previous ride days I did at Wakefield and I am really keen to get back down there and do a few more, now.:whoo:

Sounds Awesome.
Apparently there was some repairs to the surface, a few of the bumps cleaned up ????

Ben750au
12-03-2016, 02:47 AM
Hmm. Tempted to try to get down there Tuesday now. Is there power in the car ports ?

Ruckos87
12-03-2016, 07:21 AM
Hmm. Tempted to try to get down there Tuesday now. Is there power in the car ports ?

Do it!!! Yep there's power in the carports but $80 split between a few isnt to bad for a garage. I do like being track side...

Mr.Ed
12-03-2016, 10:07 AM
^this... not keen on the carports, especially in the colder months.

Ben750au
12-03-2016, 02:11 PM
:mad:meeting at work Tuesday morning. This work shit is getting in the way of track time.

Nelso
12-03-2016, 04:48 PM
Sounds Awesome.
Apparently there was some repairs to the surface, a few of the bumps cleaned up ????

Pretty much all of the bumps are gone. The surface is the best I have ever seen it.

Nelso
12-03-2016, 04:50 PM

Yep. I actually preferred being in the carports than halfway up pit lane in a garage. It was closer to everything and we could hear the PA system clearly.

Turbo
13-03-2016, 10:39 AM
Pretty much all of the bumps are gone. The surface is the best I have ever seen it.

Wow!! Might be worth a re-visit then...

zoidberg
17-03-2016, 07:17 AM
Do it!!! Yep there's power in the carports but $80 split between a few isnt to bad for a garage. I do like being track side...

How many do they fit in a garage Luke?

Ruckos87
17-03-2016, 07:35 AM
How many do they fit in a garage Luke?

4 maybe 5 bikes comfortably more at a squeeze . There about the same width as EC but 1/3 as deep.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160316/a7b74233eedc0a8d7b23f396422ceba3.jpg
The issue we found on Tuesday with the car ports is power. There was only a double GPO for every 2nd car port. We had to piggy back two bikes into one GPO.
On a full day there would be leads running everywhere. Not sure if it would trip out the CBs?

Marshy
17-03-2016, 10:49 AM
Not sure if it would trip out the CBs?

Power (or rather, lack of it) has always been an issue at Wakey. It's not uncommon for the power to trip, particularly on a cold morning when people are firing up their kettles and coffee machines! It's better than it used to be (a backup generator was a requirement, back in the day), but it's still not 110% reliable.