PDA

View Full Version : Damaged Thread - Heli Coil?

windy
16-06-2013, 01:48 PM
G'day guys,

After an off at the creek yesterday I have damaged the thread on the frame for my right rear set.

The bolt is a M8, I am thinking I need to put a Heli Coil in it. Has anyone had any experience with this? Or have any other ideas on how I can fix the thread?

Cheers,

Nathan

BoB
16-06-2013, 03:31 PM
G'day guys,

After an off at the creek yesterday I have damaged the thread on the frame for my right rear set.

The bolt is a M8, I am thinking I need to put a Heli Coil in it. Has anyone had any experience with this? Or have any other ideas on how I can fix the thread?

Cheers,

Nathan
Yes helicoiling will fix a thread but post up a few pics and ill let you know if there is any other possibilities. Is the thread stripped out or just pickedup, or needs just the start of the thread fixing up.
If its just the start then maybe a tap toclean the threads and is it possible to fit a nut on the back?

windy
16-06-2013, 04:08 PM
Yes helicoiling will fix a thread but post up a few pics and ill let you know if there is any other possibilities. Is the thread stripped out or just pickedup, or needs just the start of the thread fixing up.
If its just the start then maybe a tap toclean the threads and is it possible to fit a nut on the back?

Thanks for your help Bob, I will try and work out how to get some pics up on here. The thread is stripped out. When I looked at the bolt it looked like the thread was stripped itself. But then I noticed that the material stuck in the thread unwound off the thread on the bolt. And that the thread on the bolt looked fine. Then when I go to put the bolt back into the frame to do it up. It slides almost the whole way through. Could possibly put a nut on the back if I sourced a new longer bolt and nut...

Marshy
16-06-2013, 04:17 PM
Thanks for your help Bob, I will try and work out how to get some pics up on here. The thread is stripped out. When I looked at the bolt it looked like the thread was stripped itself. But then I noticed that the material stuck in the thread unwound off the thread on the bolt. And that the thread on the bolt looked fine. Then when I go to put the bolt back into the frame to do it up. It slides almost the whole way through. Could possibly put a nut on the back if I sourced a new longer bolt and nut...

At the top of the box you type your post in, there's a little icon of a framed picture. Just click that and you can upload a pic.

BoB is da man when it comes to fixing metal parts!! He's fixed several major engine parts for me :rockon:

BoB
16-06-2013, 04:21 PM

Helicoil will be the best fix but if you havent got a helicoil kit then maybe alonger bolt would get you mobile again as you dont have much time till wed.

windy
18-06-2013, 06:48 AM
I fixed it last night with a heli coil kit. Stronger then ever.
Thanks again bob for your help and offering to fix me up with some stuff. Greatly appreciated.

BoB
18-06-2013, 07:45 AM
I fixed it last night with a heli coil kit. Stronger then ever.
Thanks again bob for your help and offering to fix me up with some stuff. Greatly appreciated.

Good to hear you got it sorted, have fun on wed.