PDA

View Full Version : AASA merger to MA

chubb
20-01-2016, 01:31 PM
http://www.cycleonline.com.au/2016/01/20/ma-aasa-announce-new-2016-partnership/

Gonna fuck with all the different grading and how they gonna look at club vs national grading

Not to mention MA licences are much more expensive and you also have to join an affiliated MA club...

chubb
20-01-2016, 01:34 PM
How does this affect grading and their ability to differentiate between club and national grading seeing as we all know MA grading is all over the place?

Binksy
20-01-2016, 01:50 PM
Death bell for the C & D grade ASC championship surely. Almost nobody in there was C or D grade in MA last year let alone this year. One has to assume MA will just use their current grade for everyone unless someone has never held an MA licence and then they'll be graded to what the AASA grade was.

Ah well I'll be saving some more money this year then!

Marshy
20-01-2016, 02:26 PM
The writing is on the wall for FX...... ;)

I honestly don't see how picking your own grade is better than someone else picking for you. MA grading has heaps of issues, yes, but at least it's not left to the rider to choose.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chubb
20-01-2016, 02:29 PM
Marshy how do you suppose MA grades a rider x grade when he is doing y times?? It doesn't match up for so many riders

Leezx10r
20-01-2016, 02:54 PM
IMO there should be a formula created that looks at criteria such as:

Experience, times, results, period when raced last etc.

Won't be hard, just need to set some rules and apply across the board.

Nelso
20-01-2016, 03:38 PM
The writing is on the wall for FX...... ;)

I honestly don't see how picking your own grade is better than someone else picking for you. MA grading has heaps of issues, yes, but at least it's not left to the rider to choose.

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: And wouldn't it be a damn shame if the Fat Cuntroller disappeared off the scene. [/sarcasm]

Turbo
20-01-2016, 03:47 PM
Yiewww!! Great news :thumb:
Now to fix the grading system....

Binksy
20-01-2016, 04:13 PM
I've never really had any issues with TON. Least he's actually trying to get some people racing. Unlike the conglomerate of StG and MA who seem to be trying to make it as expensive and fun sucking as possible shown last year.... If I had to put the StG events up against TON events there isn't much comparison when comparing how well run they are. Sure I've got no idea about the nationals side of ASBK vs ASC or anything but from a club level can't really complain about anything he's done.

For a club punter such as me the idea of a C & D grade class that you can do the nationals circuit without getting lapped is great! Seems very telling that he could get a competition national series off the ground when there was an existing national series. Says a lot about one or both parties....

chicken16
20-01-2016, 06:19 PM
I've never really had any issues with TON. Least he's actually trying to get some people racing

+1. The FX club series is the best run series I have entered. Everything just seems to run smoothly with minimal delays. As for the grading, I found Terry's gradings much closer to the mark probably because he is there to see the competitors perform and can put it all into perspective. Sometimes it seems that MA just pull the gradings out of a hat.

Ruckos87
20-01-2016, 06:48 PM
What would that do to race your mates ???? That was extremely well run.

chicken16
20-01-2016, 10:26 PM
What would that do to race your mates ???? That was extremely well run.
They have 3 rounds of the club series scheduled for next year which has always included RYM and given the amount of RYM entrants this year I'd think that would continue.

Mstevo
21-01-2016, 06:28 AM
They have 3 rounds of the club series scheduled for next year which has always included RYM and given the amount of RYM entrants this year I'd think that would continue.

yes 3 x 2day weekend meets 2-3/April, 2-3/July and 8-9/October
These meets are by far the best run and best value of all the race meets going, with practice/qualifying then 4 x 7 lap races and sometimes depending on time/size of meet an 8 lap all powers feature type race.
The race your mates was the best thing that happened for my racing, practice starts and experiencing what it was like to be at and then race at the pointy end.

It will be interesting to see what format is used over the 2 day event and the subsequent price increase, and if that will attract more punters and more of the big boys, I suspect April will be a big field as it's 2 weeks from the ASC meet at Wakefield, I really enjoyed the 1 day events, It was cheap and I could get away with using those 1/2 worn tyres I have filling up my shed lol

Marshy
21-01-2016, 07:21 AM
I wholeheartedly agree about RYM being a great series/event. However, you need to bear in mind that it's only able to be run at Wakefield, as it would be massively uneconomic to run it at an expensive track like the Creek. Most of what makes RYM great (the relaxed pace of the day, the large number of race laps each, the practice starts etc) is completely and utterly because there aren't many people entered!! More people equals more time taken up with inlaps, outlaps, gridding up, organising, scrutineering, etc etc etc. Most of my racing on these days has been with fields of between 4 and 8 bikes. Not exactly full grids. St George (and TON himself, if you believe the hype), struggle to break even on a two-day race meet at the Creek with 150 riders. If it ran with 40 riders like a RYM, the club would go bust after the first event.

I'd also just point out that the only people (apart from plumb) to post up here in support of TON/RYM/FX are from Canberra and Wakefield is their local track. Just a little perspective.

I personally would be happy if Wakefield was bulldozed and never used again. In my view it's unsafe, and not suitable for national-level racing.

Mstevo
21-01-2016, 09:08 AM
yes it's my local track, which makes it easy to get to, cheaper than SMSP and you get many more laps for your $$$ ;-)

just out of left field, it would be fantastic if the new Nowra track could be designed to run in both directions

Carl-52
21-01-2016, 09:17 AM
I like wakey, its a great little track bumps and all. Could be cared for better but eh it is what it is. I do like the fx meetings more than St G or i did last year (lets see what happens in feb). Its just run smoother, no waiting minutes and minutes to get on the grid and start racing (from riders riding slow or the marshalls letting late riders out). Hope it doesnt go bust because when its 1 national championship, 1 licensing body and then possibly none of the other FXRRC club rounds (if terry has to fight for dates through MA) i can see the prices going way up.

chicken16
21-01-2016, 07:33 PM
I'd also just point out that the only people (apart from plumb) to post up here in support of TON/RYM/FX are from Canberra and Wakefield is their local track. Just a little perspective.

I personally would be happy if Wakefield was bulldozed and never used again. In my view it's unsafe, and not suitable for national-level racing.

I've been waiting for someone to build a Laguna Seca type track with inbuilt heating close to us Canberrans but in the meantime Wakefield will have to do. My main criticism is that racing there in winter is not particularly safe but there's a few other tracks around that aren't any better. Had I entered and won that $3 billion plus US Powerball I would have upgraded it.

Little Mick
26-01-2016, 09:25 PM
Interesting... im not from canberra.. smsp is closer by around 15 mins compared to WP. Yeah WP is not the best surface out there but from what i am reading in the other threads, smsp has its issues as well, even after resurfacing..

I have raced in ST G, FXRRC, FX Nationals FOz and RYM. I have also been a scrutineer at fxrrc, asc and rym events.

My experience with the TON events has been excellent and the common feeling in all the sheds is along the same line.

I have not been to an ASBK event so can't comment on them.

I will say though that of all the racing I have done, the TON events are my preference over STG. Even the top level is more relaxed and is timed better format wise. Those that have seen me at ASC know we are busy as buggery keeping the day moving and a lot goes on behind the scenes to make it happen.

In addition, the rym are run concurrent with fxrrc events so the numbers help each other and get some exposure to the rym guys to the next level.

Not sure why this got into a TON thing or a WP thing, but will be interestingto see what evolves this year.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk