PDA

View Full Version : Rear sprocket nut stuck - bolt removes from hub

Papey
21-11-2015, 09:33 AM
Hey,

Does anyone have any tips for this? I've got three nuts on my rear sprocket that when I go to remove, the nut just turns with the bolt and the bolt unscrews from the hub? Need to take the nuts off because I'm replacing em.

simonr
21-11-2015, 10:37 AM
Put two nuts on the bottom of the thread And tighten them against each other. Will have to be very tight. Then use two spanners on the top two nuts to turn against each other to undo the stuck top nut. Then undo the bottom two nuts.

Linden
21-11-2015, 11:03 AM
Put two nuts on the bottom of the thread And tighten them against each other. Will have to be very tight. Then use two spanners on the top two nuts to turn against each other to undo the stuck top nut. Then undo the bottom two nuts.

also really good if you can get the 2 "lock" nuts to line up so that a single hex socket / fat ring spanner can be used (really good if you only have 2 hands)
plus soak in you favourite penetrating fluid over night then clean and dry and add some heat (heat gun)

OR

buy new studs as well as nuts... btw the locking nuts is also useful for putting the studs back in (remember the locktite)

Papey
21-11-2015, 03:36 PM
Thanks guys. I managed to achieve it, but I had to use pliers to hold it in the middle to get the last nut off (the bottom one of the two that I used to take off the stuck one). I had difficulty getting the bolt back into the hub fully as well. It was hard to get two nuts on. I only had the OEM sprocket nuts.. and to fit two on with enough purchase on the top one was tough.

Thanks to your help, I managed to get the sprocket done, cleaned the rear brake up, got the wheel back on and torqued the front sprocket properly. All I gotta do now is rivet the chain and tension it and the bike is functioning normally again!