PDA

View Full Version : Road Bike and Track Bikes

Slickaz
20-11-2015, 02:45 PM
Background: Ive been reading a few of the threads, and noticed a lot of "track bike over road bike" opinions.

Question:
How many of you have track bikes and how many of you road bikes.
How many have both.
and for the ones that dont have a road bike, why do you not want one?

Mr.Ed
20-11-2015, 02:48 PM
Had a road bike for about a year then took it the track... haven't missed the road since. I do fantasise of getting another one sometimes but tbh it's very low on my wishlist.

jaswib
20-11-2015, 03:27 PM
I have both but since getting my r6 i have not ridden the Ducati once and now the old boy has started to commute to work on it so i can't say i miss it at all.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Nelso
20-11-2015, 04:37 PM
I have both, but rarely ever ride on the road. We do a trip to PI every year for the Supers, but other than that, the road bike hardly gets ridden. Riding on the road is sketchy at best and we spend too much time riding at the track and riding dirt bikes to need to ride our road bikes.

KANGA
20-11-2015, 04:47 PM
Te630 dual sport for commuting(need to get some tard rims) and a bit of off road adventuring when I have time. Have no urge to "hit the twisties" anymore. Find it boring nowadays unfortunately. Pity was cheaper and the pies were better lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chubb
20-11-2015, 05:47 PM
Got a mortard and track bike. I want another track bike to finish up my stable though

Slickaz
20-11-2015, 06:50 PM
it sounds like a lot of you guys are so in love with the track that you dont want to ride in the city, to commute etc.
i use mine to commute and have noticed an increase in the riders.

dont you guys find the traffic annoying after riding in it?

jaswib
20-11-2015, 07:06 PM
it sounds like a lot of you guys are so in love with the track that you dont want to ride in the city, to commute etc.
i use mine to commute and have noticed an increase in the riders.

dont you guys find the traffic annoying after riding in it?
I like to keep the bikes as a treat so there not part of my daily grind. Plus a company ute isn't such a bad thing either.[emoji16] [emoji16]

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Marshy
20-11-2015, 07:06 PM
It's mostly safety for me, plus a good dash of comfort thrown in, as to why I don't ride on the road any more. I only ever really did 'the twisties' on the weekend anyway, and the combination of a long, boring ride to get anywhere, plus lower and lower speed limits on the good bits, plus the ever-increasing police presence and higher penalties, plus crazy drivers, poor road conditions and the high risk of dying on the road, and it's just not that appealing any longer. I could never just 'commute'..... every red light was a wheelie opportunity, and speed limits just feel waaaay too slow (unlike in the car, where I'm very law-abiding and happy to cruise around on the limit).

Re traffic... just focus on the good bits of the car (music, aircon, bluetooth phone calls, aircon, rain protection, sun protection, aircon) and ease of use (no change of clothes, no carrying a helmet around, wearing dragging jeans everywhere in 42 degree heat, rain suits, can't wear work clothes, and not being able to carry shit) and it's a no-brainer.

Don't get me wrong though. If I didn't thrash a racebike around the racetrack every two weeks or so, I'd go insane! And I'd have to ride on the road.

Ruckos87
20-11-2015, 07:34 PM
Just track bikes for me
I got my licence when I was 17 had a road bike for a few years a gpx250. Sold that in a need of cash. 18 years later brought a new gsxr1000, after about 6 mths riding on roads decided to buy a dedicated track bike, in fear of crashing my pride and joy.

Brought that, Rode that and crashed that a few times, had a conversation with the Mrs about the dangers of the road, decided the track was much safer.
I was a bit upset about loosing the road bike initially but I was not giving up the track.
Haven't missed the road at all.
Upgraded the track bike and Doing race your mates in Dec, and D grade next year if I can get up to speed.

Turbo
21-11-2015, 12:13 AM
Just track bikes for me too. I had a road bike for a long while but after unlocking what bikes can do on the track, riding the twisties holds little to no appeal for me.
Road riding made me a better driver so I'm very glad I did it. Having commuted in London for years on the bike, I don't feel unsafe on the road and if there is a part of road riding I miss, it's the traffic dodging.
I don't miss it enough to wear full leathers in 44 degree heat tho! Or to pay what would be track tokens on an extra rego etc.

Linden
21-11-2015, 06:27 AM
Got my licence ... ouch ... 37 years ago ... longest off a road bike in that time 4months (living in a ski resort in winter) ... own everything from ER185 - GSX 1100 (unfortunately an EFE) but main models VF750's, GPz 550/600r, and now Monsters (think there are 7 in the shed at the moment)

1st track was IV at Winton in 1983 on a CB250RS - rode back to Sydney after crashing :) - stopped racing in 88 after loosing front end 3 times in 2 meeting ... and came back in 1999 to race BEARS F5 (Monsters 600, 620, 696)... still can't push the front like I use to

from 2005 - 2013 I was commuting over 30,000km per year in Sydney (Blue Mtns to CBD) - also work VERY pt as an Ls and Ps instructor

Don't do many trackdays (5 sessions in 10 years) ... racing is safer (normally 4 -7 meeting a year - Darwin to PI and all in between - avoiding Winton and Wakefield where I can)

BTW regular commuting is VERY helpful with riding on damp tracks (noticed at StG rnd that I've lost some of my rain skills since working from home)

Krackeye
21-11-2015, 09:28 AM
I have a FZ1 that I commute 600kay a week on. Will only go for a weekend ride if invited. In saying that I had to go to Bundeena the other day. Wet roads through the nasho just trundling along at 80. Most pleasent. Think my next road bike will be an adventurer. Commute and play in the dirt.

As a side note I think commuting helps with situational awareness on track. I'm happier going 3 wide into T2 than packed 3 lanes on the Princes Hwy.

johnnyb
21-11-2015, 11:22 AM
Well I'm just coming out and saying it......I ride a scooter on the road.
Versatile (see pic) and it's great showing guys riding their latest sports bike to work you still need a bit of skill to get a bike around a corner fast.

And I like to feel the breeze on my vagina

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/20/9148dbc892b301c881d7cc9d9fe030ad.jpg

Mr.Ed
21-11-2015, 12:48 PM
at least it's green ;)

Button699
21-11-2015, 01:22 PM
Haha. U need a 211 stuck on it somewhere...

Turbo
21-11-2015, 02:51 PM
Well I'm just coming out and saying it......I ride a scooter on the road.
Versatile (see pic) and it's great showing guys riding their latest sports bike to work you still need a bit of skill to get a bike around a corner fast.

And I like to feel the breeze on my vaginahttp://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/11/20/9148dbc892b301c881d7cc9d9fe030ad.jpg

Your scooter is ace!! and you can really pull off the shopping bag from the bars look ;)

Marshy
21-11-2015, 03:05 PM
And I like to feel the breeze on my vagina

This is the real attraction for you, I think.

Metal-Man
21-11-2015, 04:40 PM
It's mostly safety for me, plus a good dash of comfort thrown in, as to why I don't ride on the road any more. I only ever really did 'the twisties' on the weekend anyway, and the combination of a long, boring ride to get anywhere, plus lower and lower speed limits on the good bits, plus the ever-increasing police presence and higher penalties, plus crazy drivers, poor road conditions and the high risk of dying on the road, and it's just not that appealing any longer. I could never just 'commute'..... every red light was a wheelie opportunity, and speed limits just feel waaaay too slow (unlike in the car, where I'm very law-abiding and happy to cruise around on the limit).

Re traffic... just focus on the good bits of the car (music, aircon, bluetooth phone calls, aircon, rain protection, sun protection, aircon) and ease of use (no change of clothes, no carrying a helmet around, wearing dragging jeans everywhere in 42 degree heat, rain suits, can't wear work clothes, and not being able to carry shit) and it's a no-brainer.

Don't get me wrong though. If I didn't thrash a racebike around the racetrack every two weeks or so, I'd go insane! And I'd have to ride on the road.

I'm with Nick on this one too ... too dangerous on public roads, an soo many inconsiderate imbeciles make it impossible to ride in safety .. as well as police presence + speeding tickets

NOT WORTH IT

I ONLY RACE

Binksy
21-11-2015, 10:08 PM
Not sure I could live without the road bike. If I could get out on the race bike once a week then maybe.. But road riding is wicked fun with mates and there are some truly amazing roads around.

Plus I reckon it helps teach you to ride to conditions which many people seem to fail at on track days, and you get used to dealing with unexpected situations.

Got a 2010 r1 that I'm about to get resprung and valved which I'm super keen to ride after that!