PDA

View Full Version : How do i know when im about to lose Traction

Slickaz
16-11-2015, 01:29 PM
My first track session on a motorcycle was on monday. California Superbike School Level 1

I was doing pretty well for a noob apparently. However, sitting on the S1000RR was a different story for the first few laps.

I am finding it difficult to lean any further than i usually do on the road, because ive never taken the bike to its traction limit.

I was a little worried that i might low side.

Dont get me wrong, i learnt a lot and i feel alot more confident, however, id like to track masters here to tell me: How do you know when you're nearing loss of traction? are there any tell tale signs from the bike? do you just use your knee dragging as the farthest point?

Thanks

nigelnobody
16-11-2015, 03:00 PM
Personally i enjoy feeling right on edge of traction that was my sign to leave the road for good.
Maybe do some more schools on the bmw's i think they are loaded with sensors to help there.
Basically comes down to feel for which ever tyres you choose, best to build up gradually.
I am sure there are more on here with good advice.

chubb
16-11-2015, 07:53 PM
Practice practice practice!!! More seat time will get you more comfortable and confidence on the bike.

Marshy
16-11-2015, 11:26 PM
What Chubb said. It'll come with more seat time :thumb:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Slickaz
20-11-2015, 02:16 PM
thanks guys, i found that my afternoon sessions were much more productive, and quicker. Unsure if the lunch had anything to do with it.
I will be back at the next track day at SMSP. Obviously in the slowest group but will look to move up.