PDA

View Full Version : Crashed bike to track bike

Papey
15-11-2015, 06:56 PM
After seeing Sicko's bike build I thought I'd give everyone a laugh and share my experiences so far getting my bike fixed and ready for the track.. Up until this point I'd never touched anything on the bike, fearing it would explode.. So I've definitely been fumbling along.. and the story goes...

1. Got the bike home - stripped off all the crap. Took it to a bike shop and asked them to put on a mid-pipe, fix up the slip-on, and swap the tyres back to my supercorsas.

1.5 Got the bike home.. started it.. engine was fine but rear wheel wasn't spinning. Spent a day thinking about it to realise there was no chain... went back to the shop and got the chain and a chain tool to fix it

2. Mate said to call Marshy to sort me out for all the bits I'd need without having to sell any organs to afford it :thumb:

3. Took tank off, took off all the parts thinking I'd sand it back and get it painted. Bought a tank cover with my fibreglass instead.. put it all back together and back on the bike!

4. Put a DNA filter in, drained the oil and changed the filter. Only had a 2 litre icecream container to drain in.. but I thought I'd have enough time to pour it into a bucket.. I guess I figured it would come out slowly.. Anyway only spilled about 400ml of oil under the bike!

5. Put on clip-ons.. spent hours debating whether or not to cut the left switch box off as the guys at the bike shop said don't cut anything. Thankfully I didn't cut the clutch sensor wires.. not sure if I'll need the mode button or not though..

6. Made a DIY thingymebob to stop the right switchbox/throttle twisting on the clipon. Used superglue so not sure how it'll pan out...

7. Put on gilles factor x rearsets and GBR covers. And stickers on the swingarm :cool:

8. Did the R6 throttle mod and chucked some grips on - Learned that hairspray > grip glue.. spent 30 mins muscling the throttle tube grip on with the glue.. no amount of jerking off could prepare you! Then used hair spray for the other and it was on in 5 seconds..

9. Finally went to refit OEM chain.. don't know how the bike shop took it off the swap my tyres back but...:confused: Going to put my 520 chain n sprockets on when I get a chainlink I've had ordered for 4 weeks!

If anyone knows a good way to mount the front brake reservoir please let me know!
Anyway hope that was good for a laugh. More to come when I try and fit the fibreglass!

Marshy
15-11-2015, 07:11 PM
Awesome write up!! Great work too. The learning process is fun, I reckon.

I've got a bracket for the brake reservoir. I usually carry a few, as they are quite useful. I'll dig it out ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chubb
16-11-2015, 07:56 PM
Love the Gilles rearsets

Leezx10r
17-11-2015, 07:39 AM
Great to see some build threads. Keep up the good work

Papey
20-12-2015, 06:27 PM
Unboxed the fairings Nick, they're looking pretty sweet! Trailer builder sent me a photo of the frame assembled too. Can't wait to make a start in 2016!
I love how the used reflective for Suzuki logo on upper fairing.

zoidberg
20-12-2015, 07:08 PM
Bloody hell, it's only the skeletal trailer so far and I've already got trailer envy... Fairings look great!

Marshy
20-12-2015, 07:50 PM
Unboxed the fairings Nick, they're looking pretty sweet! Trailer builder sent me a photo of the frame assembled too. Can't wait to make a start in 2016!
I love how the used reflective for Suzuki logo on upper fairing.

Awesome!! Both the fairings and the trailer :thumb:

Papey
29-05-2016, 05:26 PM

Righto - finally got my shit sorted and got the bike ready. Doing a race next weekend, so far I've lockwired everything, charged up battery, replaced coolant w water, changed oil & filter, changed brake fluid, tightened everything and checked twice, put race numbers on.. only thing left to do is figure out if I need to put the fuel overflow and breather into a container and if so where to put it! Anyone here on a gsxr600 and keen to share what they've done? Also, is there anything else I should be doing prior to a race?

Cheers,
Papey

zoidberg
29-05-2016, 05:42 PM

Righto - finally got my shit sorted and got the bike ready. Doing a race next weekend, so far I've lockwired everything, charged up battery, replaced coolant w water, changed oil & filter, changed brake fluid, tightened everything and checked twice, put race numbers on.. only thing left to do is figure out if I need to put the fuel overflow and breather into a container and if so where to put it! Anyone here on a gsxr600 and keen to share what they've done? Also, is there anything else I should be doing prior to a race?

Cheers,
Papey
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160529/ed9d92fdd1df2ab0c83e11fe259e1efe.jpg

I did that. They didn't like it in scrutineering though. Passed it however!

I've got a bigger bottle I am going to zip tie up near the radiator somewhere next weekend.

Bike looks nice mate! Where are you racing?

Papey
29-05-2016, 05:53 PM
Haha nice job!

I'm looking at putting a small 2 stroke oil bottle where the horn goes.. just zip tie it around there but wanted to ask and make sure before I cut the hoses down to size. Otherwise I was looking at having it under the tail but hoses weren't long enough and it looked shit.

Will be racing at Mallala in SA.. first time and I'm on a 750 so I'm doing brackets.

zoidberg
29-05-2016, 05:55 PM
I think in the MOMS it has to hold 100ml? So i missed on that too. I see heaps of them up around the radiator though. I have no fuel breather and there is always the option of routing them into the airbox too?

Oh, and good luck!
Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Turbo
29-05-2016, 07:19 PM
Great thread, Papey!! I somehow missed this first time around, think I was in UK!

Bike looks great in the new fairings!! Got any more pics?? :cool: :cool:

Marshy
30-05-2016, 06:29 AM
Jeez those fairings are beautiful!! Looking good mate :thumb:

Linden
30-05-2016, 07:44 AM
Jeez those fairings are beautiful!! Looking good mate :thumb:

Red doesn't match the rim tape color :(

Krackeye
30-05-2016, 08:36 AM
Bloody hell, it's only the skeletal trailer so far and I've already got trailer envy... Fairings look great!

Me too. Is the trailer getting done in SA Papey?

Marshy
30-05-2016, 09:07 AM
Red doesn't match the rim tape color :(

I think he should demand a full refund, plus compensation for damages.

Papey
03-06-2016, 06:20 PM
You don't even wanna know about the trailer. I took it back for a full refund (ironic given Nick's post ^ haha) - It was a very poor build up close and the c**t used 40mm axle and 5leaf springs rated to 1000kg max, and then plated it to 1.5t (like I asked..) so effectively his cutting corners to save $100~ in parts robbed me of legal towing of 1000kg load to 500kg load. The trailer was meant to weight 400kg and it weighed 550kg too. I had to pay a few hundred for freight back from Adelaide to Melbourne. The business was called Forte Trailers run by Marco Forte - I'd avoid em :)

Papey
03-06-2016, 06:26 PM
Now few last questions & some more pics before ride & race tomorrow & sun!

Pic of the bike

How/where I did the fuel overflow & breather catch

How/where I did the coolant expansion reservoir tube

Race numbers - are they gonna be legal with how I overlapped them?

Finally the undertail - did it as you said Nick with the rubber housed nuts and put some 100mile tape on it to cover any gaps

Now i'm just smashing through Twist of the Wrist Doco to remember how to ride after 16~ months :/

Turbo
03-06-2016, 06:39 PM
Loving the caged trailer action!! It's an animal!!
I think with the numbers, it'll depend how strict the organisers are.
By the MOMS book, they're too close together, but at club level it may well get let through without batting an eyelid!

chubb
03-06-2016, 06:48 PM
Why did you overlap it in the first place???

Papey
03-06-2016, 06:55 PM
I was trying to get the numbers to stick smoothly without bubbles and cause the point is curved funny it wasn't working out.. but after id already put em like that I realised all I had to do was cut one of the loops in each 8 and they'd stick fine. And I thought it looked cool.

Marshy
04-06-2016, 06:12 AM
And I thought it looked cool.

I agree!! They look horn overlapped like that. Love the look.

If it was me scrutineering, I'd allow it. There are some scrutineers, however, that get off on their minor power trip, and are picky about numbers. Most are ok tho. Try it and see!

Metal-Man
04-06-2016, 03:04 PM
is it just me, or this guy is totally organised with how clean his work area is when workin on his bike (can't see a damn friggin tool on the gound). ;-)