PDA

View Full Version : Fairing Spray Painters

cormac
17-10-2015, 03:31 PM
Hi all looking for some spray painting advice from those in the know.

Just started work replacing the old fairings held together with duct tape and an thinking of getting them sprayed.

What would I expect to pay to get everything sprayed, happy to use a single basic colour like black.

If it's insanely expensive I guess I can get used to undercoat grey.

Also any recommendations for a good spray painter in Sydney would be greatly appreciated.

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/10/16/1cdd4f39c9a0cb84a0fd1a6cbcb3a98d.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Turbo
17-10-2015, 04:57 PM
Wolfie57 rides for Cutting Edge Racing - http://www.cuttingedgepaintshop.com.au/
They do some really nice paint jobs,. He'd be able to give you the lowdown on who to talk to and what to expect to pay.... Mark?

Marshy
17-10-2015, 06:19 PM
There was a dude in Sutherland or Cronulla or something that would do a single colour for $250. Anyone remember that? It was considered bloody cheap - the cost of paint alone is quite high. A rattle can is cheap, but you get what you pay for ;)

Phat3R
17-10-2015, 07:15 PM
There was a dude in Sutherland or Cronulla or something that would do a single colour for $250. Anyone remember that? It was considered bloody cheap - the cost of paint alone is quite high. A rattle can is cheap, but you get what you pay for ;)

He shut down a while ago.

Metal-Man
18-10-2015, 05:44 AM
so the bike in pic is in primer at the moment?
I used to paint race/track bike a couple of yrs ago when I was a nswrats member, but I moved to Seven hills and that all changed.

Some questions for you to dwell on ................

What type of paint is it?

Acrylic, or 2k baked enamel (automotive enamel)?

What type of finish do you want/expect?

Also, if that is the primer (undercoat) who sprayed the primer?

What area of Syd are you in?

These questions and more can be easily answered, if you're willing to do the labour/prep work with my advise and if you have the facilities to spray in your garage, there is that chance I could paint it for you.

I have over 20yrs exp in the automotive industry.

cormac
18-10-2015, 07:20 AM
Paint type would be 2pac. My basic understanding is that the paint is harder and the job is less labour intensive for a professional painter than acrylic. Looking to use a single basic colour - black / grey.

Finish. It's a track bike so not looking for a factory quality finish. Looking for a decent, consistent paint job with no defects, runs etc.

Primer is urethane sprayed by the manufacturer Armour Bodies. They claim it just needs a light sanding and it's good to spray.

I am in Sydney CBD. Would prefer not to spray in my garage for lots of reasons. I was hoping to take the fairings to a painter and getting them sprayed.

Ruckos87
18-10-2015, 01:04 PM
When I was looking the cost to get single colour on the gel cost fairings was $350. Ended up ordering custom painted ones direct.

Metal-Man
19-10-2015, 04:39 AM
Paint type would be 2pac. My basic understanding is that the paint is harder and the job is less labour intensive for a professional painter than acrylic. Looking to use a single basic colour - black / grey.

Finish. It's a track bike so not looking for a factory quality finish. Looking for a decent, consistent paint job with no defects, runs etc.

Primer is urethane sprayed by the manufacturer Armour Bodies. They claim it just needs a light sanding and it's good to spray.

I am in Sydney CBD. Would prefer not to spray in my garage for lots of reasons. I was hoping to take the fairings to a painter and getting them sprayed.

yea seems fair enough, if you want to give them a wet sanding with P600, or P800. Do not go any courser than 800 wet, (eg: P400). The higher the number, the finer the sandpaper. (wet sanding paper, blackish/grey coloured paper) then give it a quick wash down to remove any sanding residue. Do not wet sand in direct sunlight on a hot day.
Find a local automotive paint & panelbeating supplies shop, and ask if they'll spray it for you, in your choice of colour.
Shouldn't cost too much, as you've already done the prep work (sanding). Black or grey colours are cheaper compared to reds, pearl coats etc.

If they (the paint supply shop will do it) they give you a colour chart to select a specific colour, or you could choose a "straight tinter", black, for example.
As plumb mentions $350 seems about the ball park figure