PDA

View Full Version : Neat new tool, or just go with foot / block of wood?

Phat3R
22-08-2015, 04:36 PM
Thought this looked damn useful! (http://www.pit-bull.com/product/F0102-000.html)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQgd526hakY

Mstevo
22-08-2015, 06:06 PM
I've got a shaved down piece of 4x2 that does the same thing, ;-)
I can't use it on the front due to the curve of the front guard, I have to twist it side ways to get under the front guard lip

Linden
23-08-2015, 04:23 AM
Used to use the "wedge" system but now I have a tapered nylon "dildo" that I use on one side of the swingarm (forkleg) to hold the wheel in position on one side while I locate the axel on the other side (nylon end goes inside hollow axel as I slide across)

Marshy
23-08-2015, 06:26 AM
The Apes were so easy to locate a rear axle just lifting the wheel with your foot that it was never a problem (the combined wheel/spacer combo was much narrower than the swingarm gap, so it was easy to move around). I've gotta say that the BMW rear is significantly harder to locate, as the total wheel/spacer width makes it a friction fit in the swingarm gap and the spacers get caught on the axle block cutouts, making positioning the wheel at the right height more difficult. But I tend to find that with a bit of practice, getting an axle through on any bike becomes pretty easy, once you nail the right technique for the bike.

But maybe I just don't know what I'm missing out on? I've never tried a support mechanism.

Phat3R
23-08-2015, 09:05 AM
Used to use the "wedge" system but now I have a tapered nylon "dildo" that I use on one side of the swingarm (forkleg) to hold the wheel in position on one side while I locate the axel on the other side (nylon end goes inside hollow axel as I slide across)

Pit Bull might want to commercialize that one too ... the "Wheel Dildo" ;)

Kimbo
23-08-2015, 10:30 AM
The new RSV4s seem to be easier to get the back wheel in , though the front , the pistons have to be pushed back before you wriggle them into position

Linden
23-08-2015, 12:16 PM
The new RSV4s seem to be easier to get the back wheel in , though the front , the pistons have to be pushed back before you wriggle them into position

thought there seems to be a trick to make it work ;) 100%

Turbo
23-08-2015, 05:50 PM
I reckon once you find the 'trick' that's specific to each bike.. it's pretty easy to do without a support.
As Marshy says tho, having never tried one, maybe I'm missing out!

KANGA
23-08-2015, 06:30 PM
The trick to the ZX is to swear constantly at the fucking rear brake caliper pads that keeps knocking out of god damn position!!

Might look in to something like this that will allow me to roll it in instead of lift it.

Turbo
23-08-2015, 09:42 PM
The trick to the ZX is to swear constantly at the fucking rear brake caliper pads that keeps knocking out of god damn position!!

:rofl: :pound:

Leezx10r
24-08-2015, 09:22 AM

Might look in to something like this that will allow me to roll it in instead of lift it.

I went through that, and got one of these to hold the bloody thing where it should be!

http://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/08/23/524eb191950073eaa338ae9a958ff689.jpg

KANGA
24-08-2015, 10:47 AM
Sorry Lee, what am I looking for in this pic? :noidea:

Leezx10r
24-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Bracket that holds the brake calliper in place. "The black part"