PDA

View Full Version : What are these cams ?

RIPPERTON
27-07-2015, 04:44 PM
They are out of 05 R6 engines used by UTS Formula SAE.
They don't have the sand cast finish of the standard cams and have much broader noses ( duration)
In any case they are for sale if we can figure out what they are.

Carl-52
27-07-2015, 07:03 PM
I thought i remember someone saying that one of the old team members played around with custom cams. Have they asked John or Terry if they remember anything along those lines?

Carl-52
27-07-2015, 07:07 PM
Hows the team doing anyway? Not much news has been coming out.

RIPPERTON
27-07-2015, 07:49 PM
Always getting new people in there, they don't hang around too long.
You get one guess why they are getting rid of all the Internal Combustion stuff....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=115&v=EhfN5ZyWpOY

Carl-52
27-07-2015, 08:36 PM
Yeh i know they are going full electric with their honeycomb monocoque that was about 50% done, was just wondering how much further they have progressed. The last time i heard anything they had finished their motor test rig and the new cooling system was almost done. Also heard they had some issues with stella's engine and had decided to put it back to 98 not e85. Do you reckon they will go well with their planned system?

Carl-52
27-07-2015, 08:37 PM
I was in the team until the end of last year, just couldnt put the time in to be a more useful position due to my commute.

RIPPERTON
27-07-2015, 09:11 PM
They bit off more than they could chew with the honeycomb monocoque. Got it wrong twice at $1500 a pop with CAD errors ect.
Its very difficult stuff to work with and not beginner friendly. That's the hard part of being in FSAE, you are basically in the learning stage but because you have funding all the big wigs still expect you to get it right the first time
They should have used one of their old tube chassis and made one advancement at a time.
Also the people calling the shots ie the rule makers don't have any experience in electric drives and they say things like you cant use LiPo because there are a lot of videos on YouTube showing idiots blowing up LiPo packs.
In my 5 year experience racing electric bikes Ive found LiPo is safer than LiFePo4, more predictable and easier to engineer.
They are actively associating with AEVA and come to all our Wednesday night dinners so they are learning from us, id like to call it cheating but they need to succeed.
The motor they have chosen is a weapon but they will have to spend a lot of time tuning the controller which is an unknown brand here in OZ (Bamocar)
I would have used a Rinehart as there is a dealer in Newcastle who has data setting up his own drives.
They have also been nobbled in the battery department because they have to use an inferior low performance cell ie A123 20Ah LiFePo4. For the weight they have allocated to battery they wont get the current they need and will overwork the cells. In the end they'll get it right but its not going to be easy.

Carl-52
28-07-2015, 12:32 AM
ahhh it seems like the usual then! Shame about the two errors with the monocoque, when i left the budget was already looking thin. Also a reason why i left is that unless you're one of the "leaders" your ideas and knowledge are ignored. Its better now with the new team members but they were left in a tightly ruled and restricted environment by the last guys. Unfortunately I reckon they will learn the hard way with the battery system too. I thought they were going to choose the Rinehart, i remember it being on a list and talked about in one of the team meetings, it would have made sense. At least they are making use of you and AEVA, it took quite some convincing for them to talk to you and the rest of the e-fx racers in the first place.