PDA

View Full Version : Here's the thing ... BEARS / Twinsprints

Linden
12-05-2015, 10:56 AM
New thread to stop topic drift :)

Yeah, it's a right royal pain. But good experience chasing everyone down in the twisty bits! Sounds like you had a good weekend though!

I had a great weekend at Morgan Park apart from being last race of the day (Sat & Sun) and riding into the sun and last to leave with a 10.5 hour drive home

The downside is I'm being HP smashed so what to do

The facts
- I want to race in BEARS F5 and Twinsprints and don't (yeah I know) wish to spend massive money
- I Use a Ducati 696 (and will stay on a Ducati) - slip ons, Airfilter and flashed ECU
- Twinsprints = up to 700cc
- Bears F5 = up to 904cc (for air cooled Ducati)
- Next 3 Bears rounds (Nationals) are Hidden Valley; PI and SMSP - all have HP issues
- Don't want a second bike to be very different in body posture (currently bring my MHe and its a LOT different to the monster - plus I don't push it)
- don't forget lazy, cheap dreamer :)

So get/build a second bike for BEARS or enhance the 696
- Need to spend lots to get more HP while staying under 700cc (that said been promised that a full system and ECU remap might get me 3-5hp (probably need 8 - but might be enough)
- there is a nice 1998 SS sitting a Manhiems at the moment - bit too good perhaps so $$$$$ but also body position will probably mean I'll graft the engine in to one of my spare Monster frames and with out development the older 904cc are not much more power than the new 700 (more torque of course)
- a very silly idea is to de-stroke an 1100 Monster (I've already got a spare 696 motor and a road 696 that could be a race bike) would be 863 cc 98 x 57.2 SCREAMER (696 is 88x57.2 - 1100 is 98x71.5) - lots of work and it may not work

OK you all have arseholes what about opinions !!!!

Saturnalian
12-05-2015, 12:29 PM
New thread to stop topic drift :)

OK you all have arseholes what about opinions !!!!

what do you weigh Linden, surely there's some HP gains to be made there...
Oh, sorry, just read the lazy bit....:eyebrows:

Marshy
12-05-2015, 01:30 PM
Honestly I can't think of a thing. If you insist on staying on a little Duc, and you don't want to spend much money, none of the options work.

If you're getting monstered by bikes with many more horsepowers than yours, a pipe and a remap isn't gonna do diddly. You won't notice anything under 5hp anyway... 10 is more like a noticeable difference.

What other non-Jap brands make a 650 twin?

Mr.Ed
12-05-2015, 01:43 PM

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/500x/23266068.jpg

In all seriousness though... you've set yourself some hard limitations there so I guess dropping weight might actually be the one thing you can do. Lighter wheels, discs, flywheel, battery, Ti/CF everything, etc... the extra benefit being that unlike engine mods, it won't cost you on maintenance.

Now if you go hardcore (God forbid) and decide to lose weight yourself, there's also the benefit of being more agile and fit better on the bike.

Linden
12-05-2015, 01:52 PM

Fat and Lazy ...yeah could do with some weight loss ...

Honestly I can't think of a thing. If you insist on staying on a little Duc, and you don't want to spend much money, none of the options work.

If you're getting monstered by bikes with many more horsepowers than yours, a pipe and a remap isn't gonna do diddly. You won't notice anything under 5hp anyway... 10 is more like a noticeable difference.

What other non-Jap brands make a 650 twin?

Got a national championship to get (again) 5hp might not be much in your world but at the back with 80 ish to start with I think it would help :) - in the last race of the day the margin was 0.18sec so 1 HP may have helped (oh and not have stuffed up the down hill sweeper which stuffed the bottom of the hill which stuffed the esses)

Not sure of another 650 BEARS twin (Hyosung is of course not Jap but not Bears either) - the bike that's doing me is a worked (Mike King) 904 aircooled motor in a 748R frame thank god it's ridden by a fatter bloke than me :)

Of course Morgan Park is probably the worst for HP monstering with the run up the hill onto the straight - at EC he's just catching me on the line and I suspect that at PI I might be able to hold him out to the line (HV is a lost cause... 1100M off a slowish corner)

Linden
12-05-2015, 01:53 PM
Lighter wheels, discs, flywheel, battery, Ti/CF everything

Remember Cheap ....

Now if you go hardcore (God forbid) and decide to lose weight yourself, there's also the benefit of being more agile and fit better on the bike.

Stop bring logic in to this ....

Mr.Ed
12-05-2015, 02:09 PM
Discs, flywheel, battery will prob cost less than a decent full exhaust + dyno...

Kris
12-05-2015, 02:36 PM
Discs, flywheel, battery will prob cost less than a decent full exhaust + dyno...

Cut your food intake and loose some weight. Exercise is free. You'll save money on food and in turn get more performance from a lighter rider.

WIN on both accounts. Just needs a bit of hard work.

Lazy achieves nothing.

Mr.Ed
12-05-2015, 02:38 PM
Dammit... I was 69Kg wet till a few months back, just up to 73kg now after having enough off ppl asking me if I could score them some ice

Linden
12-05-2015, 02:44 PM

You said WHEELS... Disc ... I got 2x300mm Brembos what are you suggesting - also don't need the full exhaust just front half :) that said I did play with a single disc set up but was just a bit to scary

Mr.Ed
12-05-2015, 03:03 PM
I did, but then you remind me about the "cheap" bit... hahaha if you've got them Brembos, I suggest sticking with them! ;)

Marshy
12-05-2015, 05:11 PM
Dammit... I was 69Kg wet till a few months back, just up to 73kg now after having enough off ppl asking me if I could score them some ice

Hey, you look like you get the munchies.... can you score me some pot??

:laugh: :pound:

Marshy
12-05-2015, 05:15 PM
Lazy achieves nothing.

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRhDLH6oWnxazMajNm1rQMAvqEZdHzx5 ejocD9WsFtAmdSsDSKa

WETTY
12-05-2015, 08:09 PM
do i still have the F5 lap rec at PI ? SXV550 is the way forward

Sponge Bob
12-05-2015, 08:42 PM
Tip 1 - ride faster, Tip 2 - get a faster bike, Tip 3 - compete against more than one or two other bikes

Linden
12-05-2015, 09:49 PM
do i still have the F5 lap rec at PI ? SXV550 is the way forward

SXV is F3 ... and your record is not on the list I know we've discussed this but can't remember the reason

Linden
12-05-2015, 09:50 PM
Tip 1 - ride faster, Tip 2 - get a faster bike, Tip 3 - compete against more than one or two other bikes

1 ... doing it pick up most of the time I lost due to illness
2 ... Blind in one eye shit in the other unfortunately
3 ... shhhhh

WETTY
13-05-2015, 09:55 AM
SXV is F3 ... and your record is not on the list I know we've discussed this but can't remember the reason

Still there , SXV with treaded tyres is F5?
BEARS (F1) John Allen (Qld) MV Agusta F4 1000 1:37.422 16-Nov-08
Pole : John Allen (Qld) MV Agusta F4 1000 1:38.126 17-Nov-07
BEARS - F2 Brad Glennan (NSW) Triumph 675 1:41.891 02-Dec-11
BEARS - F3 Shane Zakelj (Vic) Alchemy 1020 1:48.400 2002
BEARS - F4 Richard Spottiswood (NSW) BMW R100 1:53.365 15-Nov-08
BEARS - F5 Paul Grant-Mitchell (NSW) Aprilia SXV 550 1:52.315 15-Nov-08