PDA

View Full Version : Titanium Bolts & Nuts

Mr.Ed
29-04-2015, 01:16 PM
OK, I'm starting another thread on this as way to both make it easy for other to find info on the matter on the future and to keep Saturnalian's thread from going too off topic (is this even possible in TT?)

For those of you who didn't follow the previous messages, I was interested to know if there was any real benefit in fitting Ti bolts and etc as I given some as part of a deal a while back but never bothered putting them on the bike. Yesterday I got another set of wheels and they came disassembled so I took the opportunity and weighed the Ti Disc Bolts vs the standard ones.

Standard (bit of loctite on it but I compared it against some others with a TON of loctite left on the thread and the scale showed no difference in weight, so I'll assume it's not important)

Titanium

By looking at the pics, one could be excused for saying "wow... that's heaps lighter!!" but when I consider that the whole front wheel will only carry 10 of those, I'm actually saving 80g max... sure, it's rotating mass but even using that thumb rule of "multiply by 4" it's still only 320g on the front wheel and 128g on the back (plus whatever for nuts). Now, I didn't "really" pay for those 'cause like I said they were part of a package and I was actually interested on the other parts so the bolts and nuts came as a bonus. But if I had to pay what Pro Bolts asks for them I'm pretty sure I'd buy something else instead. I suppose if you're replacing a big part (i.e. exhaust) for Ti it's a different story though.

I didn't weigh the standard nuts 'cause they're all on the carrier and that's not even on the wheel so it'd be a PITA to get them out just to do this... I did weigh the Ti nut in case anyone is interested.

Little Mick
29-04-2015, 02:23 PM
Factoring the radius that the centre of mass is at for the bolts or nuts, any saving could easily be outweighed by a rough balance job with excessive wheel weights installed to fix it when you consider the wheel weights are at the outer edge of the wheel... Some 2 to 3 times the radius of the bolt pcd. .. i could work out the differences but unless you are chasing umpteenths then you are unlikely to notice the difference with the bolts /nuts.

Ed
Do you have a metal valve cap and rubber cap to weigh for comparison?

Mr.Ed
29-04-2015, 02:47 PM
Do you have a metal valve cap and rubber cap to weigh for comparison?

Gonna have to be more specific than that... Are we talking Ti or just your garden variety metal?

Little Mick
29-04-2015, 02:57 PM
Garden variety to compare difference a valve cap can make

Mr.Ed
29-04-2015, 03:12 PM
Oh... You were serious! :redface:

stevem
29-04-2015, 04:24 PM
Oh... You were serious! :redface:

You started it.

stevem
29-04-2015, 04:27 PM
For you and I there would be plenty of things we would buy first, but on an all out project anytime you can save over 50% is massive.

Mr.Ed
29-04-2015, 07:12 PM
Absolutely! On a project like Jamie's this does make a lot of sense. On my bike however...

Little Mick
29-04-2015, 07:39 PM
Absolutely! On a project like Jamie's this does make a lot of sense. On my bike however...

It makes a lot of sense on reciprocating loads that drag HP or as steve says, when there is a significant weight reduction in dynamic mass.. now if you were talking lightened sprockets, brake disc, axle, swing arm, and rim, then it would be a no brainer to finish off with the Ti numbnuts etc....

in reality, with all that above though... It wouldn't make me any fasterer :yield:

Metal-Man
29-04-2015, 10:28 PM
isn't staino lighter than ti ??

Marshy
29-04-2015, 11:50 PM
isn't staino lighter than ti ??

Nope, stainless steel is quite heavy (the 'steel' in the name gives it away). Aluminium is lighter than Ti by quite a bit (not quite half but getting there), but nowhere near as strong. Ti has the best strength-to-weight of any metal. Magnesium is a third lighter again than aluminium, with similar strength, but neither are a patch on Ti in terms of strength.

Turbo
30-04-2015, 01:03 AM
I think the main advantages of Ti can be found in this department...

http://i.imgur.com/Wqb43Pe.jpg

Shame they're covered up by fairings really!

Mr.Ed
30-04-2015, 06:27 AM
Those do look great

Marshy
30-04-2015, 10:02 AM
I think the main advantages of Ti can be found in this department...

http://i.imgur.com/Wqb43Pe.jpg

Shame they're covered up by fairings really!

That's fucken UNREAL!!!! Man I love those headers.

Linden
30-04-2015, 01:57 PM
No one has mentioned High Tensile ... remember that Ti Bolts are < 9 so rotor mounts (sometimes > 10) etc should be treated with care ... seen some very dodgy stuff show up for P's courses in the past

NB number off top of head

Saturnalian
30-04-2015, 06:07 PM
That's fucken UNREAL!!!! Man I love those headers.

+1 to that. It's the one thing I didn't do that I wished I did.
Maybe after winter I'll sell the stainless Akra system and upgrade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kris
01-05-2015, 06:55 AM
If your using Titanium, go 12 point

Turbo
01-05-2015, 10:55 AM
If your using Titanium, go 12 point

Ooooo, like that!

Kris
01-05-2015, 11:16 AM
They are nice!

dan
01-05-2015, 04:11 PM
+1 to that. It's the one thing I didn't do that I wished I did.
Maybe after winter I'll sell the stainless Akra system and upgrade

Maybe I'll have a r6 by then...