PDA

View Full Version : ALWAYS double check your caliper bolts...

zoidberg
04-04-2015, 08:33 AM
Hey guys n gals,

I made a pretty basic error and missed a step in my usual changing wheels routine yesterday. Was on off rain at the track, the call was going from slicks to no slicks pretty regularly. I decided if I was going to get any track time in, I should probably just whack on my road wheels (Q3's on them). I had a few people jump in to help me change the wheels in the pits. It's a piece of piss to do and have done it many times before, but by myself...( just to be very clear here, I am in no way blaming anyone but myself for this) so front and rear were changed, tools getting passed around and unfortunately, not only did I not double check all bolts were tightened, I also missed putting lockwire back through caliper bolts. I am very thankful I didn't take anyone else out in the crash... Very silly of me.

So, 4? laps into the session, was having fun, thinking the Q3's aren't too bad, drops of rain on the visor etc, not pushing hard at all, round corporate hill, went to get on the anchors for old turn nine, lever straight to the bar, quickly grabbed again, once more, saw wall coming very quickly, not scrubbed off any speed, jumped on the rear brake, skids are cool, right? Then bam. The airfence has only been there for about a week! Only just caught the last metre or so thank god/allah/satan, pick your deity. Was kinda wedged in the airfence on my bike, turned ignition off, couldn't believe my arms were working, got off bike, couldn't believe my legs were working, had a look at the bike and realised I couldn't move it and walked away to wait for the inevitable ambulance ride. Walked away... Still can't quite believe I'm not broken! Bike is though, oh well...

Anyway, here is little clip of the crash!

https://youtu.be/D90w2_StXyk

TLDR; finger tight isn't enough on caliper bolts.

CBR42
04-04-2015, 08:51 AM
Ouch.Glad your ok.l guess lucky it wasn't down the main straight.

Mr.Ed
04-04-2015, 08:59 AM
Ouch... glad they had them pillows up for you!

BoB
04-04-2015, 09:07 AM
Hows the bike looking now after having a bit of pillow time .

zoidberg
04-04-2015, 09:17 AM
Those lovely pillows. Man they saved my hide.

Here's a pic of the front end Bob, it's not ideal. Hopefully motor is okay as I have another almost rolling chassis for it to go into. I just realised I forgot to release the straps holding the front end down last night, I hope I haven't damaged the fork seals!!!

chubb
04-04-2015, 09:29 AM
Lucky you are ok!! That sounded like a hard hit

Marshy
04-04-2015, 12:07 PM
Fuck me!! You are a lucky boy. That was a solid hit.

I've had bits not done up when there have been multiple people helping with rushed wheel changes. It pays to take an extra minute and double-check everything yourself.

Krackeye
04-04-2015, 12:41 PM
That would not have been a nice feeling. Very rucky!

Turbo
04-04-2015, 01:09 PM
Fark man! Scary stuff...
Very glad you walked away ok tho :thumb:

Mr.Ed
04-04-2015, 03:49 PM
I have to say though, that was a freaking sweet slide up until, well... you know!

Phat3R
04-04-2015, 04:22 PM
Not just lucky .. good aim ... you straightened it up after it looked like you were going left and the grass / tyres, you just got that air fence.

Wasn't a lot of time there to review many options, and the back brake washed a fair bit of speed off.

Mechanical failure is my worst fear as it's likely to cause you to come off at unusual places / angles.

Congrats and commiserations.

zoidberg
04-04-2015, 10:02 PM
Thanks guys! I really think it was more good luck than good management. I never even thought of laying it down which a few people have said. I'd love to claim good control though!

It's a definite case of helping hands kind of hindering. Very simple job to change the wheels on your own bike, it's second nature and your mental checklist is checked off. One of those things though and I have certainly learned the hard way to not finish a job until I have finished a job if that makes sense?

Was a pretty sweet skid though, I do agree Mr. Ed!

Nelso
05-04-2015, 10:20 AM
Leanne asked me yesterday why I lockwired my calipers when I put the wets on, when I was only going to be changing them back that afternoon and this is why. I couldn't believe you were walking around showing us the footage on your phone after that impact! I'm sSo glad you came out of it unhurt, it could have been so much worse.

KANGA
05-04-2015, 10:29 AM
Shiettt that was heavy! Glad you walked away ok dude!

zoidberg
05-04-2015, 12:15 PM
Hey Rob! Thanks mate, I am very surprised I was walking around too. Still in a state of disbelief to be honest... If nothing else, it's got a lot of people double checking stuff. It's pretty solid kick up my arse to make sure I do the same and do it properly. My everything is hurting today, but the alternatives could've been worse.

If you don't mind, could you ask if any of the recovery guys got a picture of the bike in the airfence? The ambo's said they were annoyed they didn't have their phones on them to take a pic. Massive thanks to Tim Sanford getting that put in, just wow, glad it was there.

Cheers,

Nath

zoidberg
05-04-2015, 12:16 PM
Thanks Kanga, was an amazing feeling actually walking away from that!

Nelso
05-04-2015, 05:15 PM
Hey Rob! Thanks mate, I am very surprised I was walking around too. Still in a state of disbelief to be honest... If nothing else, it's got a lot of people double checking stuff. It's pretty solid kick up my arse to make sure I do the same and do it properly. My everything is hurting today, but the alternatives could've been worse.

If you don't mind, could you ask if any of the recovery guys got a picture of the bike in the airfence? The ambo's said they were annoyed they didn't have their phones on them to take a pic. Massive thanks to Tim Sanford getting that put in, just wow, glad it was there.

Cheers,

Nath

I'll ask them tomorrow.

zoidberg
06-04-2015, 09:17 AM
I'll ask them tomorrow.

Thankyou! If by any chance you read this today, if Tim Sanford is there tell him my mum reckons he is a saint.

Linden
06-04-2015, 05:20 PM
Just got back for mount Gambier and this reminded me of a race there a couple of years ago when I single caliper bolt fell out (cos I didn't tighten it) I was a lot lucker just a scratch on wheel rim from caliper ... nearly shat myself when I saw after the end of the race .... glad your body is AOK .. and Tim is a Saint :)

WETTY
06-04-2015, 07:27 PM
WOW , i was waiting for the OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH FFFFFFFFAAAAARRRRRRRRKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK . you did well to only do what you did , now dont dislocate your knee kickin yourself in the bum ;)

zoidberg
06-04-2015, 07:41 PM
Just got back for mount Gambier and this reminded me of a race there a couple of years ago when I single caliper bolt fell out (cos I didn't tighten it) I was a lot lucker just a scratch on wheel rim from caliper ... nearly shat myself when I saw after the end of the race .... glad your body is AOK .. and Tim is a Saint :)

I guess I'm pretty lucky the caliper didn't fall into the wheel elsewhere, many things could've made this worse, thank the gods it happened where it did actually!

zoidberg
06-04-2015, 07:43 PM
WOW , i was waiting for the OOOOOOOHHHHHHHHH FFFFFFFFAAAAARRRRRRRRKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK . you did well to only do what you did , now dont dislocate your knee kickin yourself in the bum ;)

I'm copping a lot of flack from my mates about the girlie noises I made. I know I was winded, those noises were more of a pre emptive whimper as I tested my limbs. Should've made a more manly "take that fence!" call or something.

And yep, I feel like a bit of an idiot... Both knee and arse are sore from me kicking myself, don't worry!

Marshy
06-04-2015, 10:57 PM
I'm copping a lot of flack from my mates about the girlie noises I made.

I didn't want to say anything, but since you brought it up..... ;)

I would've just spliced in a bit of audio in post.... something like Arnie squatting 500kg. AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!

Turbo
06-04-2015, 11:36 PM
I would've just spliced in a bit of audio in post.... something like Arnie squatting 500kg. AAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!

I'd go with 'Aggressive Zombie'...
http://www.soundsnap.com/tags/grunting

stevem
07-04-2015, 04:35 AM
I'd go with 'Aggressive Zombie'...
http://www.soundsnap.com/tags/grunting

That sounds like slow motion

dan
07-04-2015, 02:36 PM
Fuck me! Aimed well though mate. Glad all is well (relatively speaking).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dan
07-04-2015, 02:37 PM
On a side note, glad they let cameras at ride days now. Should be some good videos coming out over the next few months!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

James_
07-04-2015, 06:40 PM
Good save! Glad you are ok!