PDA

View Full Version : Ride day Statistics required., if they exist

Ruckos87
30-03-2015, 07:16 PM
So I recently dislocated by elbow in a high side. Now the mrs isn't keen on me riding anyware any more... So as I can't see myself giving up the track I've decided to flog off the road bike and get off public roads, while my arm heals I'll sort out the bike and start to soften the ground for announcing my return to the track. Basically I'm after some statistic proving that the track is the safest place to ride.
We all know it's much better than the road but I'm really want the facts to lay down.
Something like in 7000 track days of 2240000 sessions there has been 2000 crashes resulting in 11 serious injured riders, and only ? Deaths or perminate disabilities, the rest were only minor injuries.

Does this info exist? Where can I find it? Or do I need to "make" some thing up myself.

Has anyone else had this predicament? How did you get around it.
Her side is, I've got 3 small kids 9, 7, 2 and a pretty busy business to run and that I shouldent be taking the risk... I do see the point but, you can't live life in a bubble.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Little Mick
30-03-2015, 07:59 PM
insurance....

and look at the safety factors... yes you go faster but:

- no cars, dogs, buses, kids, etc
- if (when) you do come off, you have everyone going the same way, so less likely of a head on inpact with a vehicle coming the other way
- there is medical onsite ready to go
- there is a helicopter pad read to go
- you have mates around to help sort you out rather than letting you lie in a ditch
- don't cross a main road anytime soon (or ride a pushbike on the road) or catch a german (or Malaysian) aeroplane, etc etc etc...

Life is too short, ask yourself how many of the people you know have had the big C sooner than planned (not that it is ever planned), and start to assess the amount of time left... there is a difference between managed risk and stupid risk... it is hard to convince your loved one of what you get out of it.... statistics (if they exist ) wont cut it.... good luck with the search tho....

cheers

Mick

Turbo
30-03-2015, 08:31 PM
insurance....

This was the big deciding factor for me. I had to be sure I could support all of my financial commitments if I had to be off work for a while.
As it was, I was off for a month and paid for a lot of things to make the time easier on the Mrs.

statistics (if they exist ) wont cut it....
Have to agree here, whilst Mick's points are all correct, they're tough to argue. I went down the emotional route with my wife.
Riding a motorcycle is what fuels me as a person.. The reason I go to work is to make track tokens.
It's genuinely fundamental to my happiness in life and I think a partner should be able support that.

If you go down the path of statistics, it's kinda like you're promising you won't crash. Crashing, however crap, is part of riding. I think you need to be realistic and upfront about it.

You could get killed playing Cricket but as Mick said tho - Life's too short! I'd rather live a life exploring all I can do, especially if it's what makes me happy.
There is a line tho it'd, be good to point out that you don't have a death wish either!

Little Mick
30-03-2015, 08:39 PM
You could get killed playing Cricket but as Mick said tho - Life's too short! I'd rather live a life exploring all I can do, especially if it's what makes me happy.
There is a line tho it'd, be good to point out that you don't have a death wish either!

this ^^^^^^

get the schooling and show that you are taking the sensible approach.... we all crash ( I mean ALL!!) but how you come out of it is a function of your ability to handle the bike to some extent ( and many other factors but practice helps ;))

track days, funnily enough, probably have more crashes that race meets, and the relative majority of both are somewhat minor (i'd rather ride on the track than play rugby league...)

Ruckos87
30-03-2015, 08:50 PM
Cheers, I'm insured, and all the above points are being floated around here ATM. I could fall off a roof at work or get electrocuted sooner than being killed on the track. I'm just trying to add some ammunition to my argument.

I think the heart strings approach will be the winner in the end. Everyone need some form of release, this is mine

Turbo
30-03-2015, 08:53 PM
I think the heart strings approach will be the winner in the end. Everyone need some form of release, this is mine

That's it man! What's your Mrs in to? (no need to answer me) Can you work it around into her getting a chunk of time to do stuff with?
They're never going to love it, understandably. Mine can at least see how much I get from it and that there's no point in living in a bubble, as you say!

WETTY
30-03-2015, 09:01 PM
WOW if you have to ask you shouldn't be leaving the bedroom . If you have to think what if then you shouldn't. Its not cheap and it bites hard when it does, i had my own bed for yrs with my name on it and the nurses knew my name . Happy wife happy life Plumb

Ruckos87
30-03-2015, 09:22 PM
WOW if you have to ask you shouldn't be leaving the bedroom . If you have to think what if then you shouldn't. Its not cheap and it bites hard when it does, i had my own bed for yrs with my name on it and the nurses knew my name . Happy wife happy life Plumb

Surely no ones wife partner ect is over the moon about them speeding around a track, (unless they ride them self ) it's more a matter of conveying the mental release and enjoyment I get from being out there.

Marshy
30-03-2015, 09:32 PM
I made the call about 8 years ago to not ride on the road any longer. Too many bike riders end up as statistics, unfortunately. It's on average 220 per year (http://www.crash.org.au/motorcyclist-fatalities.html). Which is FARKING HEAPS!!! Just think about that for a minute..... Nearly every day, a fellow motorcycle rider dies on Australian roads. Giving up road riding is one of the best things you can do for your wife and kids. I did, and I've never looked back. The racetrack is where it's at: ride days, and racing.

On the other hand, there were only a small handful of deaths on the racetrack over the past decade. I can't find an exact number, but being in the sport for so long, I can only think of 2 in the last decade (Paul and Reece at the Creek). I think there was one at the Island. Anyone?

Worldwide, it's still a tiny number. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rider_deaths_in_motorcycle_racing And some of those racetracks are very dangerous!

On the other hand, injuries are an unfortunate part of the sport. There's no avoiding the occasional injury, and denying that is just not being honest. Plan for injuries (insurance, a Plan B to get your stuff home, etc) and you'll be right. It's still way better than being injured or killed in a road accident where the driver takes you out with a SMIDSY moment.

However, the chance of actually dying (or even being permanently injured) on the racetrack are vanishingly small! It just never happens. More people are killed by being struck by lightning per year (20 in Australia every year, http://www.strikealert.com.au/lightningfacts.html) and by shark attacks (http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/topics/science-environment/2015/02/shark-attacks-in-australia-a-timeline) than on the racetrack.

As Owen said, besides giving up road riding (a major safety concession), track riding keeps me living. Without that, I would find life very unfulfilling. It's worth the small risk of injury. And if the price I have to pay to do the one thing in life I truly love is to put up with an injury every few years, then that's a price I'm willing to pay.

WETTY
30-03-2015, 09:35 PM
Surely no ones wife partner ect is over the moon about them speeding around a track, (unless they ride them self ) it's more a matter of conveying the mental release and enjoyment I get from being out there.

you would be surprised how many other 1/2s encourage
sounds like you had better hang em up or put em in her hand bag (THE PLUMBS THAT IS) couldnt help that , jamie i beat you to it :laugh:

WETTY
30-03-2015, 09:38 PM
1 motorcycle/scooter rider dies every hour in Thailand , imagine how many die in china

Turbo
30-03-2015, 09:39 PM
1 motorcycle/scooter rider dies every hour in Thailand , imagine how many die in china

Well, they shouldn't be allowed to have scooters on the track then...

Ruckos87
30-03-2015, 09:40 PM
I made the call about 8 years ago to not ride on the road any longer. Too many bike riders end up as statistics, unfortunately. It's on average 220 per year (http://www.crash.org.au/motorcyclist-fatalities.html). Which is FARKING HEAPS!!! Just think about that for a minute..... Nearly every day, a fellow motorcycle rider dies on Australian roads. Giving up road riding is one of the best things you can do for your wife and kids. I did, and I've never looked back. The racetrack is where it's at: ride days, and racing.

On the other hand, there were only a small handful of deaths on the racetrack over the past decade. I can't find an exact number, but being in the sport for so long, I can only think of 2 in the last decade (Paul and Reece at the Creek). I think there was one at the Island. Anyone?

Worldwide, it's still a tiny number. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rider_deaths_in_motorcycle_racing And some of those racetracks are very dangerous!

On the other hand, injuries are an unfortunate part of the sport. There's no avoiding the occasional injury, and denying that is just not being honest. Plan for injuries (insurance, a Plan B to get your stuff home, etc) and you'll be right. It's still way better than being injured or killed in a road accident where the driver takes you out with a SMIDSY moment.

However, the chance of actually dying (or even being permanently injured) on the racetrack are vanishingly small! It just never happens. More people are killed by being struck by lightning per year (20 in Australia every year, http://www.strikealert.com.au/lightningfacts.html) and by shark attacks (http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/topics/science-environment/2015/02/shark-attacks-in-australia-a-timeline) than on the racetrack.

As Owen said, besides giving up road riding (a major safety concession), track riding keeps me living. Without that, I would find life very unfulfilling. It's worth the small risk of injury. And if the price I have to pay to do the one thing in life I truly love is to put up with an injury every few years, then that's a price I'm willing to pay.

That'll do it[emoji106][emoji482].
Actually I'll be needing a few new bits in the next week or so too.

Cat
30-03-2015, 09:44 PM
I'm coming from Wingsuit BASE jumping and whilst the risk of injury is higher in riding bikes, the risk of death is far lower so no hassles for me - not that I've given up the BASE...

Maybe a quick fabrication of an argument by comparison scenario would work for you. Something like a brief dabbling in big wave surfing, Himalayan mountain climbing, or a bout or two in the backyard Merrylands MMA circuit for a couple of months and she'll be buying new leathers and pushing you toward your bike.

Marshy
30-03-2015, 09:45 PM
you would be surprised how many other 1/2s encourage
sounds like you had better hang em up or put em in her hand bag (THE PLUMBS THAT IS) couldnt help that , jamie i beat you to it :laugh:

LOL!! Funny!! It's true though - lots of better halves encourage track riding, especially in place of road riding, knowing just how much we love it!

Turbo
30-03-2015, 09:47 PM
I'm coming from Wingsuit BASE jumping .

THAT is coooooool!!

Metal-Man
30-03-2015, 09:48 PM
I made the call about 8 years ago to not ride on the road any longer. Too many bike riders end up as statistics, unfortunately. It's on average 220 per year (http://www.crash.org.au/motorcyclist-fatalities.html). Which is FARKING HEAPS!!! Just think about that for a minute..... Nearly every day, a fellow motorcycle rider dies on Australian roads. Giving up road riding is one of the best things you can do for your wife and kids. I did, and I've never looked back. The racetrack is where it's at: ride days, and racing

This is the reason y i don't ride on public roads anymore ... tooooo many near death experiences to recall.

made that decision in 2012 when I converted my 07 R1 from roadie, into track bike.

Now that I drive semi's all over Syd metro ... the amount of fuckwits on the road is incredible ... nearly all of em' on the phone, or in their hand txt'n, not usin indicators, an changin lanes in front of me whilst im comin to a stop at traffic lights. grrrrrr

you'd think they'd understand that I can't stop as quick as them with 40+ tonne

WETTY
30-03-2015, 09:52 PM
LOL!! Funny!! It's true though - lots of better halves encourage track riding, especially in place of road riding, knowing just how much we love it!

i never said "better " , !!!

WETTY
30-03-2015, 09:53 PM
This is the reason y i don't ride on public roads anymore ... tooooo many near death experiences to recall.

made that decision in 2012 when I converted my 07 R1 from roadie, into track bike.

Now that I drive semi's all over Syd metro ... the amount of fuckwits on the road is incredible ... nearly all of em' on the phone, or in their hand txt'n, not usin indicators, an changin lanes in front of me whilst im comin to a stop at traffic lights. grrrrrr

you'd think they'd understand that I can't stop as quick as them with 40+ tonne

there all on phone banking paying there rent and there home loans etc

Marshy
30-03-2015, 09:54 PM
i never said "better " , !!!

Ha! I stand corrected :thumb:

Saturnalian
30-03-2015, 10:16 PM
Just tell her to fucking wake up to herself and give you the me time you deserve. Cheese and rice man. It may just be the best sex you ever get....

I can't believe this thread is so long already.... But then again, I'm used to making up for my "short comings"

Nelso
31-03-2015, 12:09 AM

There was the young bloke from Qld at PI in the ASBK support race for WSBK a few years ago and Judd Greedy in Tassy the year before, as well as Steve Anderson last year at the Australian Historic Titles. They were all racing, but I can't think of anyone being killed at track days in the past 6 years.

When I worked at the snow years ago, I learnt a well kept secret that, on average, about two people die snow skiing every year; so, statistically, it is more dangerous to go skiing/snow boarding than motorcycle racing. For some reason though, people view driving cars, riding on the roads etc safer than track riding, sky diving etc. which are usually much safer statistically.

The way I see it is, that there is an element of risk in everything you can do for fun, but if it's something you love doing, she shouldn't want you to give it up.

WETTY
31-03-2015, 07:23 AM
Ha! I stand corrected :thumb:

:D thort u wood like that

Marty
02-04-2015, 08:09 PM
The media likes to beat up automotive related deaths but in the scheme of things it's nothing. 2 surprising stats I heard this week is the number one cause of death for males under 44 is suicide and every week 2 women are killed by their husbands or family members. They some extremely serious issues right there.

Nelso my mates a cop who worked the snow a couple of years back and he reckons it's about 5 people a year now who die at the snow here. I heard some crazy stat about drownings at Bondi beach too but it only seems to be the automotive related fatalities making the news.

A dude gets clocked doing 45kph over the speed limit on the freeway and its national news, someone commits suicide and you never hear of it..

Turbo
02-04-2015, 08:24 PM
Totally! It's their moral judgement about how we choose to spend our free time.
I've been getting heat from work when requesting days off, since my incident!!
None of yer flippin business!! :frusty:

Similarly, my physio who's had numerous serious injuries from playing rugby, has never once been asked to give it up or take it easy.... I get a new comment every time someone see's my limp! :noidea:

Ruckos87
02-04-2015, 09:51 PM
Was at the physio again today me, 4 soccer players and old lady and I was the only one who drove myself there, and I had the lesser injuries.

It's definitely a perception thing, and there lies my problem. But I reccon I'll be sweet by the time im fit to get back out there[emoji106]

On another note I watched the video of my exit to turn 6 each time prior to my off. Defiantly getting on the gas earlier and earelier until the off, where I did chop the throttle[emoji35]
Might be looking for some tips on standing the bike up quicker. I'll post a vid once I have a spare 15 hours to edit 20 min of footage lol

chubb
03-04-2015, 07:57 AM
Comes with track time. I wouldn't rush trying to go for 30s first time out.

Ruckos87
23-04-2015, 08:56 PM
I'm back baby[emoji106][emoji106][emoji106] (and still married[emoji6])

Well in a few mths once my arms recovered 100%

Marshy
23-04-2015, 11:51 PM
YEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!

Good to hear ;)