PDA

View Full Version : Defective Dunlop

chubb
23-03-2015, 06:19 PM
What leg do I have to stand on here??

Back story,

I bought this French control tyre brand new and used it for 4 sessions at WP. Very non abrasive track as most would know. Slow times not blistering ones.

Hardly any wear in the front (new as well)
Dunlop reckons it may happen when the tyre is towards its end of the life cycle. However this tyre being brand new only having done 45 laps. Glenn Allerton had a look and reckons it's defective and advised me against riding on it further and sending it back to Dunlop.

Having done that, Dunlop are playing hardball and I'm wondering what to do in regards to this. Im still trying to push for a replacement tyre but am I asking too much??

I understand not having warranties against slicks but surely there is something for manufacturing fault. Clearly it's not a geometry tear or an old tyre (hard to tell but they were brand new and done about 45 or so laps )

Anyone??
http://i1220.photobucket.com/albums/dd451/chubb35/ECB26B84-C294-442E-887F-57BB1AC6EC9F.jpg (http://s1220.photobucket.com/user/chubb35/media/ECB26B84-C294-442E-887F-57BB1AC6EC9F.jpg.html)

Little Mick
23-03-2015, 06:41 PM
shytzed....

Chubb, from what I hear about 40 laps on the control tyres is about the money... 30 if you are banging them out...

chalk it up to experience - you will need to keep the Dunlop boyz on side if you are running their control tyre in FX.....

PS - Rims look great

chubb
23-03-2015, 06:42 PM
Tread wear indicators are still new. I managed to run a KR449 US tyre down to the wear markers. Which is why I'm very frustrated by this.

Slow bro
23-03-2015, 07:06 PM
I had that happen ( no where near as bad as that ) to a Bridgestone slick & Craig white replaced it straight away, no questions. I was very impressed with his response. Dunlop should do the same.

Marshy
23-03-2015, 08:16 PM
I had it happen very recently to a UK front. Although it'd only done 6 or 8 laps (one session) at the Creek, so it was clearly virtually brand new. They swapped it without too much complaint for a new one (French though, cos there were no UKs left).

45 laps sounds like an awful lot of laps though. I know in reality it isn't that many at Wakey, it's still a fair bit of use. Yes, normally you should get days and days of use out of one of the hard (rubbish) T886 control tyres - I reckon about 3 full race meets and a couple of track days out of one rear.... they just don't wear at all. But at the same time, it could be riding style combined with bike setup combined with wrong pressures/temps combined with crap tyres. It's very hard to 'prove' anything.

In short, I'd be having words with the promoter about running better tyres. The 886 is crap, and Dunlop know it. They have better compounds now, it's just they want to offload the rubbish ones they have heaps of stock of.

Marshy
23-03-2015, 08:17 PM
You won't wear the 886 wear-indicators down in a decade of riding on it. They just don't wear.

chubb
24-03-2015, 07:51 AM
hoping its just a bad tyre or a batch... they will have heaps of issues if its going to remain like that...

Mr.Ed
24-03-2015, 08:17 AM
When I got my current set of tires at the Creek the other day there was this guy there on a ZX6 as well who had just came back from his first session on a brand new GP211 rear slick he had bought that same day and it literally had chunks missing out of it. Like someone had scooped bits of it out with a spoon... very odd. The person in charge of the shop now (don't know his name, sorry!) said the rider would have to buy a new rear tire to continue riding on that day as his bike was no longer 'scrutinized' and he would send the tire back to Dunlop who would then give him a replacement/refund.

Personally, I was not very impressed with that customer service. Having to buy another rear after just one session instead of being offered a replacement is really not what I'd expect...

chubb
24-03-2015, 08:38 AM
When I got my current set of tires at the Creek the other day there was this guy there on a ZX6 as well who had just came back from his first session on a brand new GP211 rear slick he had bought that same day and it literally had chunks missing out of it. Like someone had scooped bits of it out with a spoon... very odd. The person in charge of the shop now (don't know his name, sorry!) said the rider would have to buy a new rear tire to continue riding on that day as his bike was no longer 'scrutinized' and he would send the tire back to Dunlop who would then give him a replacement/refund.

Personally, I was not very impressed with that customer service. Having to buy another rear after just one session instead of being offered a replacement is really not what I'd expect...

that's what I'm having to deal with at Dunlop at the moment... very tempted to say to the shop I bought it from its your issue between you and Dunlop..

Marshy
24-03-2015, 11:26 AM
very tempted to say to the shop I bought it from its your issue between you and Dunlop..

Unless they sold it to you for their cost, I would do just that.

dan
24-03-2015, 11:31 AM
that's what I'm having to deal with at Dunlop at the moment... very tempted to say to the shop I bought it from its your issue between you and Dunlop..

If it is a defective tyre then that would be my approach. It's not an issue between you and Dunlop. If my TV packed in I wouldn't contact Sony I'd contact JB Hifi, for example.

Metal-Man
24-03-2015, 09:58 PM
the goats snuck in the garage an had a munch on it :p

chubb
25-03-2015, 06:53 PM
Positive result. Dunlop acknowledges that it is a manufacturing fault and will replace the tyre.

Marshy
25-03-2015, 06:58 PM
Positive result. Dunlop acknowledges that it is a manufacturing fault and will replace the tyre.

Excellent!!

Little Mick
25-03-2015, 07:03 PM

go buy a lottery ticket

Mr.Ed
25-03-2015, 07:37 PM
Excellent indeed!

Mstevo
25-03-2015, 07:46 PM

I'd like to know the back ground story to that change of heart?

Little Mick
25-03-2015, 08:02 PM

+1

chubb
26-03-2015, 07:40 AM

my super awesome negotiation skills.. :) and help of old man Kitson.

no its just when Dunlop actually saw the tyre physically in their hand they acknowledge the fact its not rider caused or geometry tear with bike suspension. The delamination is uniform throughout the tyre.